My (39m) girlfriend (36f) absolutely will not allow others their turn to speak when we are drinking and it's starting to ruin our relationship.
I want to start by saying we generally have an enjoyable relationship. We have like to go on fun adventures and we are pretty cute together when we are having a good time. When we are sober, she has normal conversations and gives others their turn to speak. However, as soon as she gets a few drinks in her, she will only let myself or any other person get literally 3 to 5 words in and she immediately starts talking over them, usually about herself and usually about something random like an instagram story she just read. This has happened many, many times and it makes me not want to drink with her or bring her around my friends. It has reached the point where I will just walk away from her or out of the room with the person I am trying to talk to so we can have an actual conversation without her completely derailing the conversation to something about her when it could literally have nothing to do with her. A lot of the times, she will cut someone off and just ramble with no point. For example, we met a couple at a brewery and she started to get sauced. The guy we just met starts to say "So, when I lived in New York..." BOOM! She cuts him off "I've lived in New York for 10 years. You have idea about New York. That's my city! I lived in Brooklyn" Etc etc etc she goes on and on. The guy NEVER got to finish his sentence about what he was trying to say until she went to the bathroom and I asked him to finish. His story was about teaching math to high school students and his methods of engaging with them which I actually found to be pretty interesting, but she just wouldnt let him get the words out. It is extremely frustrating and even embarrassing when I introduce her to one of my friends and she just starts talking and talking over them without letting them finish a sentence. I've tried talking to her sober about this and her response is always the same: "I have ADD and it gets worse when I drink." When I asked her while she was drunk why she does it, she says "I already know what people are going to say and they need to hurry up and say it or Im going to talk." I believe this is just a matter of poor etiquette but she seems to be completely helpless to this ADD quality while drinking. I've also asked her to try to work on it. I've told her to count to 5 in her head when someone else is talking just to let them get their sentence out. None of this has worked and it's getting to the point where I don't want to drink with her or introduce her to my friends when we are drinking. She doesn't want to be left out when I drink with my friends but I am just not having fun when she does this and she does it every damn time. Lastly, just so ya'll know Im not just being a jackass, I've heard several of her friends complain about the exact same thing and their solution is simply to ignore her until she stops talking. That works a little but I really don't want to have to behave like that when I'm introducing her to someone knew or in a group setting like that. Anyone have any suggestions other than just not drinking with her or to stop bringing her to social engagements where alcohol is present?
TL;DR: Girlfriend will not let other people talk at all when intoxicated.
Submitted October 23, 2021 at 06:02AM by DrowningInFeces https://ift.tt/3vFgWA8


No comments:
Post a Comment