Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Would it be okay to stop being friends with someone because they're constantly depressed?

I've come across this situation a couple times in my life. I (20f) have become friends with someone (24m in this particular instance) with a lot of mental issues and it seems like they never have a day without being completely miserable. Every day is something new to be sad or upset about. And trying everything I can to cheer them up or help doesn't help in the slightest. I just feel like a failing therapist to them and its taxing.

I've got my own mental issues and depression to deal with and trying to help them on top of myself just feels like a crushing load of work. I don't feel like I've got the time or energy to help these people anymore since everything I try had been null and I can't seem to help them enjoy life for even a single second. I know having people around to support you helps but my support doesn't seem to do a damn thing and I just end up making myself feel worse being around them.

I accidentally didn't talk to one of them for a day or two and I noticed immediately after I started talking to them again how much better my days were before then. Of course I would never tell them that. But I've been contemplating just silently and slowly letting our conversations go and stop talking to them.

I feel like its cruel to let them go because of what they're going through but I feel like if I don't help anyways and I'm just giving myself headaches trying to figure out a way to help them solve their problems and making my days worse when I suffer from depression myself. Its just not worth it. It's not a healthy relationship for me to have it feels like.

But I want a second opinion on it before I contemplate letting these people go seriously because I know this could have very real and serious consequences if done incorrectly. I don't want anyone to end up hurt in this situation. Thank you in advance.

Tl;dr my friend is depressed all the time and I try to help to no avail and its making me miserable enough on top of my own depression to want to stop talking to them. Would this be okay to do?



Submitted October 27, 2021 at 11:10AM by -_Mocha_- https://ift.tt/3pIANxC
Would it be okay to stop being friends with someone because they're constantly depressed? Would it be okay to stop being friends with someone because they're constantly depressed? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on October 28, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.