I have a group of online friends with whom I share a Discord server. We've all been in there for about 3 years now, so we're all very close. We have a tradition where, on each other's birthdays, we would send the birthday girl our own letters, a present, and deliver some cake to their house, since we are all from different parts of the world.
Well, my birthday's on October 20th, and my friend's is on October 29th, so I definitely understand if it can get a little hectic planning all of that in a week's time. Two other friends in that server had very close birthdays about two months ago, but we still made it work, so that was the least of my worries.
However, as the day arrived, I've gotten nothing. Two days have passed, and no one has said a thing. They congratulated me, we talked just like we always do, but no one has brought up any letters or presents. Actually, since we make a separate group chat to plan the letters and presents, they continued planning the birthday of the friend that's next week... during my birthday.
I know they're not expected to do anything, and I had told myself a week before that it was fine if nothing happened because I'm not entitled to their friendship. But with the fact that they carried and moved on to someone else's birthday before mine even ended, I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed and hurt that nothing happened. During the last birthday, we did a last-minute cake delivery to the birthday girl's house, and it worked out perfectly. In the group chat for next week's birthday, they are planning to do the same thing for her, too. It hurts to see them working so hard right in front of me for someone else when nothing was done for me.
I haven't told them this because it's incredibly hard for me to create serious, emotional conversations, but the way no one has said anything about it makes me feel as though I'm making a big deal out of nothing.
TL;DR: My friends started planning another friend's birthday before mine even ended, putting much effort into planning hers compared to me getting nothing.
Am I acting too entitled?
Submitted October 22, 2021 at 12:07AM by YellowEuphoric2125 https://ift.tt/3jujbl5


No comments:
Post a Comment