Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Sister’s MIL (50s?) keeps coming over while my dad is dying and we just want to be alone

On mobile so sorry for formatting issues.

My dad is terminally ill and in hospice at home. He is expected to pass any day now. Everyone in my family has been staying at my parents’ house 24/7, including all my siblings and my dad’s siblings. It’s a full house. My dad is no longer responsive and sleeps all the time, so we try to keep the house really quiet and calm.

My sister married a really nice guy several years ago and we have gotten to know his mom very well. She’s really sweet and she means well, but she can be really loud and just generally doesn’t get social cues. She has come over multiple times in the past week to cook us dinner and to lift our spirits and distract us from our grief and we know she’s trying hard to be helpful. She tells funny stories, plays music, etc.

Except none of us really want to be distracted from our grief and it’s just draining to have to pay attention to her. She also doesn’t get when we want privacy, such as one moment when we thought my dad was about to pass and we were all crowded around him telling him we loved him. She wouldn’t move from his side and just kept saying that based on her experience with death, this wasn’t the moment yet so we don’t have to be so sad.

My sister tried talking to her husband about it but he was really insulted and felt like we were ungrateful. He was also close to my dad, so he considers it a huge support to have her around. She’s extremely sensitive, so she would consider it a slap in the face if he were to say anything. We all recognize that she means well and has the best intentions, but we’re all so tired and just want some privacy in this very difficult time. Is there a nice way of telling her we’d rather just be alone without hurting her feelings?

TL;DR - Sister’s MIL keeps coming over with the best intentions while our dad is dying but we want privacy



Submitted October 26, 2018 at 03:37PM by TawaySIL https://ift.tt/2RgiYBu
Sister’s MIL (50s?) keeps coming over while my dad is dying and we just want to be alone Sister’s MIL (50s?) keeps coming over while my dad is dying and we just want to be alone Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on October 27, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.