Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

How can I (48M) convince my niece (28F) she's not "too old" to start over?

My niece who I'll call Lia, doesn't have a great family support system. When she was born I was in the middle of college and I still probably saw her and took care of her more than her actual family (long story.) I think that I am someone she relies on and trusts for important milestones in her life and advice.

She was always a very smart child in school, got a 2100 on her SATs, and 2 degrees graduating summa cum laude. However she always said she never knew what she wanted to do, even while she was excelling in her classes. So far, she has changed positions and roles and fields 4 times in the past 6 years.

Yesterday Lia came to me in tears in total meltdown mode because she said she absolutely hates her job and wants to change her career. However, she is terrified that she has just made too many mistakes in a short amount of time and she is "too old" to start something over again. So she doesn't want to continue the field she is in but also too scared to start something else. I assured her that 28 is not old - I myself finished my master degree when I was 31. She countered that to say that my path/field/industry was still consistent while she has jumped around all different places. She still doesn't have any kind of direction of what she wants.

I just want some advice on how to advise her and support her while she is so confused and anxious. I have tried asking her what her passions and hobbies are lately and she says that the corporate life has broken her and she doesn't really have any interests anymore besides staying in to watch Netflix. I asked her what she likes about her current job and she says she just likes the money but the work destroys her soul. I feel helpless to help.

What can I do to help her? I don't want her to get more lost or follow her parents' footsteps.

TLDR: Niece struggling to find her career path and believes she is too old to start over again after starting over 4 times in 6 years. How can I support her? What can I do to help her find a path?



Submitted October 26, 2018 at 10:35AM by stgermaine011 https://ift.tt/2Jj3pWW
How can I (48M) convince my niece (28F) she's not "too old" to start over? How can I (48M) convince my niece (28F) she's not "too old" to start over? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on October 27, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.