Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My(23 F) parents won't get help for my increasingly violent autistic brother(M17)

My brother was diagnosed with autism 4 years ago. My parents are very religious and they have chosen fo focus on getting a miracle to cure his autism. A lot of it is driven by my mother.

They have done deliverance, prayers, changed his name so the evil spirit will stop bothering him etc. I am religious too and believe he can be healed but the only times we have seen progress in his life(learning to tie his shoelaces, read, dress himself for school)are when we either got help from someone (hired a teacher to help him read) or put our foot down and insist he learns and no one does it for him. Besides not knowing how to make friends and being (2 years) behind in school, he can function normally.

The problem we are having now is rage. When asked to do or stop doing something and he doesn't want to, he sometimes gets mad and starts destroying and throwing things. There are no consequences for this behavior because my parents dont want to deal with it. I am particularly worried that if this becomes our new normal he will escalate to hitting us regularly (has happened once to me an my mum) .

He has no idea how to work through negative emotions and express himself when they happen. My parents have reacted by scheduling him for another miracle session with a preacher but i think its time we start working with professionals who can deal with this. He responds very well to people who take an interest in him.

Unfortunately, i've brought up the therapy angle but my parents only want to see this from a religious angle while he gets more violent by the day. He's a very intelligent boy and i think therapy will help. Its the one thing we have not tried anyways. How do i convince them to try therapy?

TL:DR My autistic brother is getting violent and my parents are only considering religious cures. How do i convince them to try therapy?



Submitted July 04, 2019 at 08:55PM by trianglemarshmallow https://ift.tt/30kI5rz
My(23 F) parents won't get help for my increasingly violent autistic brother(M17) My(23 F) parents won't get help for my increasingly violent autistic brother(M17) Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on July 05, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.