I (F25) am questioning how to get over feeling uncomfortable with my SO's (M28) friendship with his roommate's girlfriend (F24)
What's a normal way to handle feeling jealous or uncomfortable?
Background: Guy I've been seeing (let's call him N) is close with his roommate's girlfriend (let's call her K). K stays at N's place most nights, and K is planning to move in when her lease is up. K and N are friends - they hang out, drink, watch TV, are in Snapchat groups, etc.
I noticed I feel uncomfortable with how close N and K seem to be. He talks about her often, watches her pet, they buy each other gifts, and objectively he ends up spending more time with her than he does me as a by-product of her staying at his place to be with her boyfriend.
I have no issues with K. We haven't talked much and don't know each other well, but she seems nice. I have put in some effort with trying to get closer to her to try making myself more comfortable with the situation, but so far it does not seem like we have much in common, and I don't want to force a friendship.
N has other platonic opposite-sex friendships that I feel comfortable with, but the amount of time and energy that I perceive being invested into his relationship with K seems to get to me.
For context - I trust N, and have talked to him about this and he understands why I might feel uncomfortable. I believe that part of the reason I'm having a hard time getting over feeling uncomfortable is because I have not had a successful close friendship with someone of the opposite sex where there hasn't been some type of line being crossed. As a result, I have a hard time understanding and trusting platonic opposite sex friendships. I'm busy, I have my own life, and I don't think worrying about something this trivial is a valuable use of my time or energy, but I'm still having a hard time letting it go.
TL;DR - Looking for advice on how to deal with feeling uncomfortable with SO being close to roommate's girlfriend. I believe SO is not doing anything wrong, so it's not fair for me to ask him to change his behavior, but I also don't enjoy feeling uncomfortable with his living situation.
Submitted April 22, 2020 at 03:40PM by HollyDaze420 https://ift.tt/2xUl5H0


No comments:
Post a Comment