Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

I [F25] am getting increasingly annoyed at my housemates [25F] calculating boyfriend [26M] who has moved in with us

I’m [F25] living with one of my best friends, Julia [25F] and so far it’s been great. She’s recently got a new boyfriend, Jake [25M] and they had a LDR because he moved interstate. He moved in with us recently and for weeks was not paying anything.

I’ve always liked Jake until these last couple weeks. Income wise, my housemate and I are doing ok, however, its obvious Jake makes a lot as a high flying corporate guy. That’s never affected the household. We split everything 3 ways, and my housemate is very independent and has never expected him to pay more.

The problem is Jake negotiates quite aggressively given his finance background, and it’s starting to make me resentful.

He originally said no to paying more for groceries when Julia bought up the fact that he eats twice as much as her (literally) and eventually settled to pay 60:40 with her. Seeing how much he eats, I told her I didn’t think it was fair but she was happy because for her it’s more about the sentiment, which I understand, but it’s obvious she is subsidising his diet. Whatever, that’s fine, it’s not my business. Until...

We have a third housemate, Sarah. She’s a student and recently moved back home to be closer to her boyfriend and family. She is still paying rent and simply asked that she doesn’t pay utilities which I think is generous given she’s lost both of her casual jobs recently. Jake originally agreed to split the utilities so Sarah could be left out of those bills, but then comes back with all this finance mumbo jumbo like “oh I only want to pay the variable component” leaving Julia to have to build a financial model to work out how much he needs to pay.

Now Julia has had to go back to Sarah and ask her to pay the fixed part of the utilities bill. And Sarah has obliged, although she was obviously taken aback.

I can’t help but be annoyed at Jake now. I love to cook and always give him so much of my food. Julia is not being treated fairly in how their grocery bills are being split, and now Sarah is paying for utilities that he is using. He doesn’t pay any rent here, and Julia has quietly been using Sarah’s room as a study and they do not feel the need to offer to pay Sarah anything to use that space.

One more thing so I’m not leaving out any details, Jake is paying rent + small amount for utilities for his apartment interstate. He refuses to negotiate with his landlord to get a reduction in rent “because he is not in financial strife”. It baffles me he won’t even try to negotiate a concession seeing as he won’t be living there for months... yet he is fighting over $30 a month with a student, who is supposed to be your girlfriends friend?

Am I crazy or is this just the quarantine driving me up the wall?

TLDR: too much time with housemate’s calculating boyfriend is starting to make me annoyed at him



Submitted April 30, 2020 at 02:00AM by muso-baby https://ift.tt/2So3SNj
I [F25] am getting increasingly annoyed at my housemates [25F] calculating boyfriend [26M] who has moved in with us I [F25] am getting increasingly annoyed at my housemates [25F] calculating boyfriend [26M] who has moved in with us Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on April 30, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.