Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My [M,24] mother [53] and I got into an argument about politics. I hurt her feelings but I don't know if I should apologize.

This is a pretty boring story but I could genuinely use some advice.

Today my mom and I talked on the phone, and she broke the news to me that she attended an 'open up the state' protest. I tried not to react, but she went on talking about it and was able to tell that I found this... embarrassing. We've argued about politics before, but normally we're pretty good about keeping it light. However, this conversation went downhill. She said us young people are entitled and complacent, I said I wish I could install a parental lock on Rush Limbaugh... you get the picture.

After, she texts me saying (in an accusatory way) that she's hurt that I'm embarrassed by her. The truth is, when it comes to politics, I am embarrassed by her, I have been for years, and her participation here (on TV!) takes the cake. Despite this, our relationship hasn't been damaged by politics before (except once when I didn't want to go on a walk with her while she was wearing a MAGA hat).

I wasn't planning on holding this argument against her, and I'm not sure what to make of the fact that she apparently expects an apology. My intention absolutely was not to hurt her feelings and I don't feel like this argument is worth any drama. At the same time, I don't think I could apologize in earnest. We both basically called each other stupid, and it annoys me a little that she's playing the guilt card. Should I feel guilty? Should I just suck it up and say I'm sorry anyway?


tl;dr: My mother's feelings were hurt by a political disagreement, and she has played the guilt card. Unsure how to react.



Submitted April 29, 2020 at 07:03PM by Gregregious https://ift.tt/2Yjf5m5
My [M,24] mother [53] and I got into an argument about politics. I hurt her feelings but I don't know if I should apologize. My [M,24] mother [53] and I got into an argument about politics. I hurt her feelings but I don't know if I should apologize. Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on April 30, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.