I [27F] am afraid my new boyfriend [31m] is going to figure out I am not as smart as him. Please advise?
Hello, I accidentally woke up early this morning and now I'm dwelling on something that has been in the back of my head for a while, so this seems as good a time as any to ask for advice.
I met Brian about a month ago. He and I very quickly bonded over a shared interest in vintage style and history. We started talking actually because he saw a photo I was showcasing and commented that it reminded him of an Edward Hopper painting. So a handsome man who dresses nice and knows who Edward Hopper is made me fall pretty hard and fast.
We went for coffee a couple days later, then dinner, so on. I realized very quickly that Brian is so smart. He works at a museum and has a degree in history and is very passionate about it. It happens to be my favorite subject too and we were having a great conversation about it, but I realized very quick that as much as I like it, he is way smarter than I am.
He gets going on his very strongly held opinions on something like Bleeding Kansas and all I can do is nod my head because I'm feeling a little left in the dust.
And he keeps telling me how glad he is to have someone else who he can talk to about it and how he really admires how smart I am.
And that is where I'm feeling uneasy. Because I'm really not as smart as he thinks I am. I think I do okay, and I do love talking to him about this stuff. But it is very clear he is way over my level and Im really worried he is going to realize that I am really not as knowledgable on these things as he thinks I am. And then I am worried he will lose interest in me.
Smarts are very obviously something he holds in high regard. What happens when he starts to catch on that I'm just not as smart as he is?
I know this seems like such a silly thing. But Brian is the first guy I have been with that I really click with. He is smart, his style matches mine, and I do love chatting about history with him. But I'm not even close to the level of historian he is.
What can I do? Just admit that Ive been trying to fake it to make it? Admit that I suspect he thinks I am smarter than I am? Roll with it and hope for the best?
TL;DR: Boyfriend is super smart. I am not as much. I'm nervous what happens when he figures that out. Please help?
Submitted September 21, 2019 at 03:11AM by AccomplishedFlight7 https://ift.tt/30erIAq


No comments:
Post a Comment