Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

I[27F] do not know how to react to my friend’s[27F] dangerous lifestyle.

I have been friends with Laura for 10 years. We met working at a coffee shop at 17 and together experienced university, moving out(lived together at one point until I moved in with my current boyfriend 6 years ago), navigating our careers and now this weird late-20s stage. She is like a sister. When I first met her I remember being so drawn to how positive she was. I can be quite critical and she really helped me see the good in things. I will add that Laura is very beautiful. Honestly I’ve never seen a more perfect face and she has a supermodel’s body.

In 2013 Laura began to engage in an affair. It was with the VP at her first job out of school. I won’t divulge into everything that occurred but it was typical extramarital tack. Rendezvous in luxury hotels, vacations and gifts, mingling with the friends of the man-I imagine the way they would look at her, I know she revelled in it all. This ended in a nasty blowout three years later. She covered her tracks by “taking up an exciting opportunity” in a different city where she lived for two years before coming back home.

While in this new city she began engaging in back-to-back affairs, often multiple at a time. I think being away from home(we live in a city of 2 million but within our age range and industry everyone knows someone) gave her the confidence to stretch her wings. We kept in touch but I was grateful for the space because it was becoming a bit much. Still I was hopeful for when she returned. I really thought it was a phase, I thought this was just her being crazy and wild before eventually settling down.

In the year since her return I feel like I’ve been searching for glimpses of the “old” Laura. I understand people change and grow. I am certainly not who I was at 21, thank God. But I feel like she’s a completely different person. Vain is an understatement. She understands and uses her appearance. Has no empathy for anyone she is hurting. Sorry, maybe I failed to mention she is involved in affairs in our city now too. There are so many I honestly have lost count. Of names, and who’s dad’s friend they were. And why we can’t meet for lunch at X because Y’s wife works on that block and maybe she saw Laura walking out of the lobby of the building she lives in. Laura has also become very sensitive to any criticism which has me tiptoeing around basically everything. She will express her problems to me and I genuinely believe wants nothing out of my mouth besides “Oh, well that’s not so bad!” Any other response is met with a glare? And an icy disposition that lasts about three days. It’s like clockwork with her worshiping me one day and hate texting me the next. She deserves a DUI but her lawyer was able to cut it down to negligence translating to a $250 fine. Disgusting. She is not practising safe sex and frequently has STDs, is abusing various prescription drugs as well as cocaine. Suffice to say... I am tired. She has many friends as she is very sociable but I feel like I am the only one really aware of the damage she is inflicting. Her father is preoccupied with work overseas and her mother believes a pat on the head and warm bath will remedy all... I feel like I’m going insane.

I am tired. I am not a psychologist. I do not understand what’s happening. What do I do?

Please help me.

tl;dr my friend of 10 years has completely changed in the last few years and is engaging in very reckless behaviour. Need advice on how to navigate.



Submitted September 27, 2019 at 11:59AM by Imissmyfriend17 https://ift.tt/2lPpqpa
I[27F] do not know how to react to my friend’s[27F] dangerous lifestyle. I[27F] do not know how to react to my friend’s[27F] dangerous lifestyle. Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on September 27, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.