Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My (21 M) dad (60) is lonely, but impossible to talk to

It is clear to me that my dad doesn't have the support he needs. He has few friends (maybe two?), and they don't see each other often. His colleagues and family don't enjoy his company, and he spends exorbitant amounts of time on facebook after work. Nobody 'likes' the stuff he posts and his comments on things are dealt with gingerly. All this because talking to him is like trying to get the attention of a rock.

My dad's favorite way to start a conversation is with a leading question. If you give him some answer he didn't anticipate, he'll violently reorient the conversation by telling you his answer to his own question with no attempt to engage with what you said. He doesn't even acknowledge what you said. This is basically the format of the convo (let's be real: lecture) that follows. It doesn't matter if you have vastly more knowledge on the subject, try to relate, make an interesting connection, ask insightful questions--it's like he doesn't even hear it: he just trundles on. He'll literally ambush you on the way to the fridge. He has no concern for what you're doing, only ever having conversations where and when he wants them. They're honestly painful. I and my family are near our wit's end.

I have plans to move soon, but my family is suffering under this behavior and has no clue what to do. He can't make friends and tortures people with his reeling attempts at connection, but he obviously needs it. I'm so lost. Also, my mom think's I'm her counselor for shit like this and I have no idea how to handle that. What can I do to support my mom and dad and also protect my time? (Should mention: couples therapy didn't do shit for them)

TL;DR Dad reliably bores people to death and gives them no opportunity to participate in conversations, mom complains about it to me. What do?



Submitted April 29, 2019 at 05:04PM by HolloeInside http://bit.ly/2URzl99
My (21 M) dad (60) is lonely, but impossible to talk to My (21 M) dad (60) is lonely, but impossible to talk to Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on April 30, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.