Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Should I (35F) take unexpected inheritance from my biodad?

Apologizes in advance for any mistakes, English is my second language.

I'm a child of an affair. My mom was single in her late 30s, my bio dad was a married man, they both lived in small town in Eastern Europe. They split before I was born, bio dad didn't visit me but sent money regularly and sometimes, when his wife was out of the town took me home to play with youngest half brother- my other half siblings were over 20 years older than us and sometimes babysat me. I adored the oldest half sister- let's call her Anne.

It was all unofficial- on paper my father was unknown, there was no court involved. When I was around five my mom meet men who become my dad- they married and moved to his side of the country, he adopted me and gave his surname. I forgot about Anne and others and when I recalled them I thought they had to be some twice-removed cousins or something.

And now, after all those years I was called by Anne's lawyer. My bio dad died suddenly and shortly after my mother left, leaving no will. As it is customary in our country his children left house and assets to their mother and divided the estate after her death, over 20 years later. They should everything and divided one half among themselves (after their mom). Anne insisted that I should be included in dividing "Bio dads half" and others- recultantly-agreed.

So I unexpectedly got a nice sum of money. It's not a magnitude of winning lottery but a hefty cushion, a downpayment for home or a middle range car.

I called Anne (she has a business so it was pretty easy) and we had a long talk. Apparently my bio dad wanted to be on my birth certificate but mom's lawyer advised against it- I can't blame them, it was a common thing back then. Anne gave me some photos of us and was patient with my questions. Apparently my parents asked bio dad to stop sending money after they got married, since- you know- I had a father, and they wanted to start anew. Bio dad didn't want to contact me since he wasn't particularly attached- he saw it as his duty and wanted to spite his wife (TBH he was barely better to his bio kids). Anne was young adult busy with her life and at that time thought that everything worked for the best.

Bio dad left no will, but Anne felt that excluding me wasn't right. She advised me to not tell my parents about our talk and frankly didn't want any closer relationship- she had children a bit younger than me and doesn't want to go back.

My husband says that I should take the money and forget about the rest. But I feel that I suddenly grained and lost older sister and I want to throw that money back at her. My husband is also only child so our family is so small that hurts. My children might have cousins, we could make a big holiday celebrations like others.

TL;DR- Older Biositster wants to give me money she feels I should take after my bio dad. She doesn't want any relationship and I'm flooded with feelings of loss.



Submitted December 21, 2021 at 05:30AM by Unexpectedheir222 https://ift.tt/3FhF1RV
Should I (35F) take unexpected inheritance from my biodad? Should I (35F) take unexpected inheritance from my biodad? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on December 21, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.