Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My (30m) family and my wife (29f) don't get along. How can I fix this?

My wife (Emma) and I have been married for 2 years now. Recently we moved to my homeland (France).

I have a big family (parents, 3 sisters with husbands and kids) and we are very close. They meet once a week and since Emma and I moved here we join them every time.

The problem is, Emma doesn't speak French yet. She learned a bit but she can't follow a conversation. They, on the other hand, don't feel comforable speaking English (but they do speak and understand it) so they often exclude her from conversations. I am sure it is done with no bad intention but I also underdstand Emma's frustration with it. At the begginig she tried approaching them them but they often replied to her questions quite short (she asked my sister how was her trip to spain and my sister replied only: Great, interesting.) Emma is shy with her limited French and nobody is helping her out; they all even say it is better for her to learn if they all speak French all the time.

I tried introducing topics that they have in common and I translate for Emma all the time but nothing seems to be working out well. My wife lost interest in my family and now when we meet them she is silent all the time. They ask her nothing and she asks them nothing. I don't know how to fix this because I love them all but this is very uncomfortable because I am trying to set a conversation all the time. It is impossible to keep it up both because of the language problem and lack of interest from both sides.

Tl;dr: My (30m) family and my wife (29f) don't get along. How can I fix this?



Submitted September 01, 2018 at 01:49PM by Mbwmtw https://ift.tt/2NDCVkq
My (30m) family and my wife (29f) don't get along. How can I fix this? My (30m) family and my wife (29f) don't get along. How can I fix this? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on September 02, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.