Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

I (21F) live with university housemates who won't clean up after themselves and it's driving me insane!

I have five housemates: two girls and three guys (and two girlfriends of two of the guys who technically don't live here, but are here all the time). We met in the first year of university, I lived with the two girls in halls and decided to become a six in a house for second year.

Due to unfortunately breaking my leg(which has left me with permanent mobility issues, so you'd think I'd get to do less of the cleaning) at the start of second year I missed eight weeks of living there, by the time I got back we had a choice of signing our contracts to live in the same house again for third year or finding somewhere else to live. I had no idea what the living situation was like, but figured they were my friends and it'd be easier just to stay in the same place again so I stupidly signed on for another year.

Only two of us in the house actually clean, myself and one of the other girls who is my best friend and throughout the whole of second year we'd have to constantly nag our housemates to clean up after themselves. By the time it got to the summer the house was disgusting, layers and layers of grime.

Everybody went their separate ways for summer apart from myself and my bestfriend who also bothers to clean so we thought: "Right that's it we've had enough" and we spent ten hours cleaning the entire house so it was SPOTLESS, literally shining. For the next month of just us being there it stayed spotless and was lovely.

Fast forward to today, the majority of my housemates are back and I've just come back from three weeks away back home and the house is exactly the way it used to be. Unwashed pots covering every side of the kitchen, rubbish everywhere, grime everywhere. It's filthy. I just want to scream, the level of disrespect my housemates have is astonishing, I don't even know how they stomach cooking in the kitchen, it's not safe.

My bestfriend and I are stuck in our contracts for another year and we don't know what to do to get our housemates to clean up after themselves and not only respect us, but the actual house too(which is actually really nice for a student house). Whenever we speak to them they always give really childish excuses or roll their eyes, you can just tell they have had their parents clean up their messes their whole lives even though they are all ADULTS (20, 20, 21 and 23).

Any advice on how to discuss the cleaning situation would be appreciated greatly. We're having a house meeting in a few days to discuss issues.

Please excuse any formatting issues or rambling, this is my first reddit post.

TL;DR: Housemates won't clean up after themselves, need advice on how to get them to be responsible for their own messes.



Submitted September 01, 2018 at 07:56AM by smolkitten96 https://ift.tt/2MDX9xX
I (21F) live with university housemates who won't clean up after themselves and it's driving me insane! I (21F) live with university housemates who won't clean up after themselves and it's driving me insane! Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on September 01, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.