Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My (30F) boyfriend (30M) doesn't like losing at video games

We just went out to a barcade. I used to work in the video game industry, so I am not bad at games. He is a nerd. We played Marvel vs Capcom and while I usually suck at fighting games (MK vs DC being the exclusion) I am actually really good at very certain old school games - my mom dragged me to country western family nights every weekend growing up and I would play arcade games to escape having to dance with old or creepy people.

So, I have a weird magic button mashing style that does ok - I basically dodge and jump when appropriate and mash buttons a ton for attacks. It's not refined but it works - at the core gameplay, I'm doing the rock/paper/scissors.

Boyfriend and I played several rounds. I decimated him - all 3 of my heroes were alive at KO. He scoffed and told me to try vs AI. Easy win. We rematched. I win again. He says try harder AI and slams down max level difficulty. Again I win.

This is when we entered the Twilight Zone. He then started making up excuses for his loss - not the same game cabinet he grew up with, joystick sticky, basically a ton of excuses. We leave the bar and go home and I can't just accept this. I still had rounds in the machine.

To me, this feels a lot like the shit I got daily when I worked in video games. There is disbelief that a woman could do x so he's trying to find reasons to explain why it happened, reasons that don't hurt his ego, reasons which throw me under the bus and invalidate my own skill. I know this is just a video game as the catalyst, but it reveals a worrying mentality.

We have paused the argument because we recognize we are both drunk, so I'm gathering input before we talk again. I think he is in the wrong, though - we were at a barcade for the purpose of playing games. Beating him should not be controversial.

I would like input - I am open to changing my view.

It should be noted that he is high functioning autistic. This behavior may be something he's never had to control before - but at the same time, does having to control it make him resent me?

Tl;Dr: boyfriend got pissy when I beat him in a video game



Submitted July 28, 2018 at 01:09AM by Nerdtroubles111 https://ift.tt/2Lw2ve7
My (30F) boyfriend (30M) doesn't like losing at video games My (30F) boyfriend (30M) doesn't like losing at video games Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on July 28, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.