Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

my (24F) husband (37M) wants me to call my mother in law (60s) 'mom'. we get along well but i feel awkward.

tl;dr: husband wants me to call mother in law mom and i feel awkward about it.

this is a mobile post sorry for the format.

I'll start off by saying that he's not being pushy about it. he just express that both he and my MIL would love if i called her 'mom'. he in general wants me to be just like family and love them like theyre my own. I'm just not like that it takes a lot for me to genuinely enjoy someone else's presence in my life. im a very particular person and i just don't do well with obligatory or arbitrary relationships. and we've only been married a few months.

his mom is a very supportive mom (if not an enabler) to my husband and his little sister. in fact, they're both quite spoiled in terms of having a supportive mother so they tend to be a little sheltered in times of distress.. however she's also the type of person who tries to please everyone and is very sweet and supportive in front of them but complains that they are a pain in her ass and needy behind their backs... like she feels all this pressure and desire to be of help to everyone around her then sort of resents them. she never fully expresses resenting them but i am certain she does based on the fact that I've heard her complain about both her children being dependent on her (SIL with her toddler, emotional support, other random things and husband previously with money and jobs).

THIS is the reason why i feel sort of hesitant to call her mom. i mean would this woman who has her hands full with two adult children who still rely on her for whatever support she feels obligated to give in order to be a good mom, and has two more step children want yet ANOTHER adult "child" (aka me) in her life call her mom? she's very nice and always helpful to me but what if she secretly feels like I'm a pain in the ass too? i absolutely hate being anyone's burden i rarely even ask my own parents for help and don't bring them a ton of bad news because i don't want to worry them.

it also doesn't help that i am only 24 years old, only two years out of college and thinking about going through grad school and simultaneously start a career. i guess im just trying to say i don't want to feel like a burden even if all it really is the name 'mom'.

am i way overthinking this?... i just can't get over the fact that i secretly think she's over still having to always be there for her adult children on a daily basis (we all only live about 15 minutes of each other) well into her mid 60s and doubt that she wants yet another adult human being calling her 'mom'.

any mother in law's or someone in a situation like me have any good advice for me?

EDIT: should have made it clear in my post that is my HUSBAND who claims my MIL would love if i called her mom. my MIL has never explicitly asked me to call her that or expressed that i should call her that. i think at one point she just said i should call her whatever i want.



Submitted July 30, 2018 at 11:38AM by amionreddit0 https://ift.tt/2mTWZ6n
my (24F) husband (37M) wants me to call my mother in law (60s) 'mom'. we get along well but i feel awkward. my (24F) husband (37M) wants me to call my mother in law (60s) 'mom'. we get along well but i feel awkward. Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on July 31, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.