Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

[26M] My GF[26F] demands a 50/50 split on rent and it is unnecessarily limiting our housing options, how can I address this?

Current Situation

We have been together for 2.5 years and are looking to move in together. I am fully employed and making a very comfortable salary. She is a med student and as such is on a budget. I want to rent a place that is nicer with some amenities, nicer finishes, etc. at $2k per month. She is on a budget and wants something lower around $1500. I do not mind paying $1250 while she pays $750 but she is adamantly against this and insists on everything being 50/50.

I want to live in a nicer place and don't mind paying extra for 2 reasons. Firstly I am volunteering to pay extra so I know I am not being taken advantage of, not that she ever would. Second, if we each were to live alone we would be paying 2k or 1.5k individually anyway so regardless each of us save money so I don't care that our split is not even.

Background Info:

My GF has always had a chip on her shoulder about being financially independent and not relying on someone else which is heavily caused by her mother and older sister. Both women married well off men and were housewives. As my GF got older they would constantly mention finding a man and not needing to be a doctor and having someone take care of her. She has worked hard to be the opposite of that which is something I admire but it has led her to avoid financial vulnerability(?) of any kind. She is fine with being emotionally or physically vulnerable with me but refuses to be seen as financially dependent on me.

I have tried to tell her we are in a relationship and it is ok to depend on me once in a while but she does not want to be anything like her sister or mother. The place in her budget is a little run down and is very much something a new grad or student can afford but I have worked hard and want to live somewhere a little nicer. I have told her nobody has to know that I am paying a greater share as I won't be advertising it but that has not helped persuade her. Any advice on convincing her or maybe I am the ass here and in that case any advice on understanding my GF because at the moment I have not heard one logical reason to oppose my suggestion.

TLDR: I want to live in a nicer apartment with my GF and am willing to pay a higher percentage but she insists on a cheaper apartment with a 50/50 split



Submitted February 26, 2020 at 09:31AM by Cool_Cancel https://ift.tt/2PHgKNp
[26M] My GF[26F] demands a 50/50 split on rent and it is unnecessarily limiting our housing options, how can I address this? [26M] My GF[26F] demands a 50/50 split on rent and it is unnecessarily limiting our housing options, how can I address this? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on February 26, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.