Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My grandparents [98M and 89F] are livid that I've told them I [26F] am quitting my job. How do I repair our relationship and get them to understand?

Some backstory on my job: I've been working there for a little over three years now. I got hired straight out of college and I've been working there ever since. In that time, I haven't received a single raise or a promotion. Instead, my coworkers, who never went to college and started after me, with the same job, have received an average raise of $10K since they've started (our position explicitly demands a college degree, but they somehow get around it). They all now make more than me, and openly discuss how "poor" they are, which frustrates me and makes me resentful. I've also been promised a promotion three times to officially get the title I've been doing for the past two years, but then I find out it's "not in the budget" every time. For the past two years, I had been acting as an editor, and I kept getting told to keep being an editor so they can have ammo to support me officially getting the promotion, but it never materialized.

In January, they switched me to a new assignment. I got switched from being a reporter and a de facto editor to a "writer." I was told it would be temporary. When I asked to make the salary the former employee made, I was told absolutely not. When I asked if I could go back to my old job when they officially hire a new person to replace her, which I actually enjoyed, I was told absolutely not. I'm basically spending my days doing tech support for old people who don't know anything and this is a whole fat piece of "I was never originally hired to do this." I was told that if I didn't stay at this new position, and tried to leave and go elsewhere, I would be blacklisted from ever finding a job again.

My new boss and I do not get along. He makes comments about my religion (I am the only non-Catholic in the office), he inquires a lot about my sick days, and I honestly just don't agree with the mission of this new department at all and it feels like it's my job to stop him from embarrassing himself and our entire organization.

Over the past month, he's put me on "probation" for disagreeing with him too often. He also gave me a "strike" for refusing to stay later, past 6:30, to work on something when I had a previous commitment (I work 8 AM-5:30 PM, no lunch break). He also keeps accusing me of being a plant in the organization to try to bring it down because I disagree with him.

On Friday, I snapped, since I found out an intern just got hired for the very exact job I said I wanted, at a starting salary much higher than my own. They created this job out of nowhere and gave it to him despite it being the job I had always said I wanted to go back to, but they told me it didn't exist for me.

I was so fed up on Friday, after arguing with my boss all day about an assignment, that I asked to just go home at 4 PM and take the day as a sick day. He flipped out and, after I left work, made someone stop by my house to make sure I was "okay." I live over 2 hours from work.

Onto my grandparents: My grandparents have known that I've wanted to leave my job for a very long time now. In fact, when I was visited them last month, I had to cut my trip short to rush home for a job interview I got last minute. When I told them about the interview, my grandfather said, "Don't leave your job until you have a new one." I did get that job offer, but it didn't work logistically for me, fwiw. I've been interviewing the past few weeks with a new position, but it requires me to take vacation days randomly that get me in trouble (especially on probation), and I think my time would be better spent home, applying for jobs, than working at this job that makes me miserable. When I told my grandmother I plan to leave, she said no, give it more time, and stick it out. I told her I spent six months in this new position and it isn't for me. She said to just give it more time, years even, and never to leave a job before I have a new one. She told me if I leave I might never get a job again for as long as I live, and I should be grateful I have a paycheck at all. I got really annoyed and told her I had to get off the phone, but she was screaming at me for even thinking of leaving a company "after everything they've done for you." Apparently, denying my days off for religious holidays, denying me raises and promotions, and threatening my employment are all great things they've done for me.

I know it's probably a generational thing to not want to leave a job until you find a new one, and to stay at one company for your entire life, but I really resent my entire position here. My grandfather used to clean bathrooms before he got promoted to working his actual job… But things aren't really like that anymore. People are coming in and getting hired at positions above me, despite how long I've been there, and it's not the same kind of environment nor job market that they were faced with. I'm upset I got so upset I had to abruptly hang up on my grandmother, but how do I make them understand why I need to leave?

*Edit to add: I will NOT be on the street starving if I quit this job. I do not have any debt or recurring payments I need to make outside rent and utilities, and at my current standard of living, I can survive for a decade off my savings.

**Edit 2: Since some of you apparently think I am a trust fund baby, I am not. I went to college on a scholarship and put my money immediately into savings, CDs, etc. when I turned 18 that I had saved up from my first job at 16-18.

TL;DR My job is horrible. I get passed over for promotions and raises and I got demoted, put on probation, and threatened with "strikes" whenever I try to clarify anything to my boss so we don't seem like blubbering idiots. My grandparents believe that you should never leave a job until you have a new one, and do not support me in leaving, no matter how terrible it is. How do I explain to them the situation is just unbearable?



Submitted July 29, 2018 at 06:04AM by Solitaryconfitduck https://ift.tt/2uXBBl7
My grandparents [98M and 89F] are livid that I've told them I [26F] am quitting my job. How do I repair our relationship and get them to understand? My grandparents [98M and 89F] are livid that I've told them I [26F] am quitting my job. How do I repair our relationship and get them to understand? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on July 29, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.