Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My family is blaming me (31M) for reporting my sister's (23F) hit and run

To avoid exposing anyone's personal information, details are going to be fairly vague. I haven't really spoken to many people IRL about this, but this feels a little less personal, so I guess I'm going here.

I've always been very close with my little sister. We grew up broke, and our parents had to work their asses off to provide for us, so they weren't around often. I was the father figure for my sister. She's a good kid, she's really smart and strong-willed, but she's got bad anxiety and is very reserved. But whenever she's got problems, she comes to me first. I'm her walking talking diary, and it's a good feeling. All I want to do is protect her and keep her safe. She's beyond my best friend.

A while ago, she came to my house in tears. She was screaming and crying, shaking a lot too. I got her calmed down after an hour, and she told me that while she was driving to a late night shift at work, she'd hit a man running across the street. It was dark out, she hadn't been able to see him, and she just hit him. I just told her the truth, she'd done a hit and run, and she needed to call 911. My sister started crying and begging me not to call, saying she wasn't ready and she couldn't go to jail, and our parents would be so disappointed. It just broke my heart. She would've never done this on purpose, and I could tell it was destroying her as much as it was me. Hitting him was an accident, and it wasn't even her fault. Driving away was a stupid, impulsive mistake, and she was freaked out. I didn't want to call. I seriously, really didn't. Whenever I'd reach for the phone, she would grab me and break into hysterics, begging me and begging me not to call. I hid in my bathroom, locked the door, and called the police on my baby sister.

Obviously, she was arrested and has been hit with a hefty amount of time to serve, along with a fine. Giving her up like that was honestly one of the most heartbreaking moments of my entire life. I cried with her, and I didn't want to do anything for days after. I've just been depressed and miserable, and I keep replaying the entire night back in my head, wondering what I could've done to help.

Anyways, my whole family is just self-destructing. My parents are freaking out, everything has been just completely falling apart. Of course, all the blame is on me. My family believes that if I hadn't called, that we could've fixed it independently of law enforcement and things would be fine. I'm just so torn up by it. I want to fix this. I want to figure out how to feel better about this situation, how to really get to my parents and tell them how badly I'm hurting.

Advice?

tl;dr; I reported my sister's hit and run to the police and my parents are blaming me.



Submitted July 29, 2018 at 03:09PM by LastBus8 https://ift.tt/2veoGdH
My family is blaming me (31M) for reporting my sister's (23F) hit and run My family is blaming me (31M) for reporting my sister's (23F) hit and run Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on July 29, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.