Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Have you ever had a partner ask you to get genetic testing/counseling?

TL;DR I’m (32F) curious if this has ever come up for anyone. If you have been asked, what was your response or experience (feel free to message or chat me if you don’t want to post publicly). If not, would you be offended/weirded out or open to it?

For context, I have a genetic disorder (I’m going to be vague on purpose). My parents were unaware that they were carriers of the trait and there was a 1 in 4 chance that they’d have a child with the full disorder (me). My brother also has the trait so he needs to be mindful of who he procreates with. I know he talks about it because there was a mutual friend that he told me he would’ve pursued a relationship with but they both have the trait.

When I date, I usually talk about my condition fairly early because it impacts my life and would eventually impact any future with a partner so I want them to be aware. One guy recently told me, “Oh my sister has that” and let me know he was a trait carrier. If my partner is NOT a carrier then our children would only be trait carriers. If they are, then we would have a child with the full disorder and that makes me nervous. Obviously this isn’t a first date conversation but something to be addressed early before things get too serious so I’m wondering how a request for genetic testing would be received.



Submitted August 29, 2021 at 07:09PM by callalil33 https://ift.tt/3jvxaHC
Have you ever had a partner ask you to get genetic testing/counseling? Have you ever had a partner ask you to get genetic testing/counseling? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on August 30, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.