Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My dad won't stop falling for internet conspiracies and grifts

I am a 27(f) looking for advice on how to maintain a good relationship with my 57(m) dad.

I don't really know what to do here, and will accept any and all advice. Making my dad do things like talk about it or go to therapy are not really possible though, because he is very independent and doesn't listen to me.

My dad is and has always been one of the smartest people I know. He is also super easy to get along with and can be very outgoing and fun but has social anxiety and doesn't really like meeting new people. A few years ago he started retreating more and more into the home, which worried me but he still seemed happy so everything was cool. He has always loved conspiracy theories and watching silly documentaries like sasquatch hunters and things like that, which I also enjoy (because who doesn't), and it's given us some common ground. Recently though it has developed into an obsession with Qanon.

It started out kind of simple with him wanting to dissect things that were happening in the world and the conspiracy possibilities all around us, which I thought was harmless and I did enjoy talking about, because it made us both think harder and it was generally good-natured. Now it has become a full blown obsession, and I can't have a conversation with him about anything at all without hearing about how I have no idea about this or that, or how he knows something about that that would blow my mind, or I don't know what I'm talking about. "Hey I sent you a video in case you want to know what is REALLY going on!" is a phrase I hear regularly in real life, and in my nightmares. I was just listening to a podcast about MMS and realized the 'health hack' he told me about earlier this week is indeed MMS. There are other similar grifts he has fallen for in the past that I am just now realizing are that; grifts.

I love my dad more than anyone else on the planet and my heart breaks every time I talk to him, or even think about this. I have tried protesting in the past but now I just do my best to humor him and let him know that I love him and I do care even though I disagree with many of the theories and am not going to watch the videos. Our relationship is suffering and I know he doesn't interact socially with many people besides my siblings and I, who he has similarly alienated.

I don't know what else to do, if you're dealing with this or have dealt with this please reach out. I am sad and worried that my dad will live out the rest of his life lonely, and I and my siblings just want him to be happy.

tl;dr my dad keeps falling for internet conspiracies and grifts and it is hurting our relationship (and his entire life), pls send help



Submitted March 30, 2020 at 11:25PM by elibell6623 https://ift.tt/2JvC7xz
My dad won't stop falling for internet conspiracies and grifts My dad won't stop falling for internet conspiracies and grifts Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on March 31, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.