Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My [48F] son [21M] sits in the house all day and does nothing. I don't know what to do.

My 21 year old son sits on the couch all day on his laptop. My husband and I are both getting sick of it. He has never had a job, he doesn't have a driver's license or even knows how to drive, he doesn't have any friends, he hardly leaves the house, etc.

He went to university for a few years, then stopped because he realized what he was studying was something he didn't have an interest in. He didn't know what else he wanted to study so he decided to stop pursuing his Bachelor's until he gets a better idea on what field he would like to get into. He's currently taking online classes at our local community college to earn his Associate's. He should have it after this Winter.

My husband and I have both been asking him lately, "Have you submitted any job applications?" He says, "Not yet, but I will soon." We ask, "How soon? I feel like you're just using that as an excuse to keep procrastinating." He'll say, "I don't know."

He has no friends or a social life. He hasn't maintained a single friendship from Kindergarten-12th grade or college. He's always been cooped up in the house. The only people he has really interacted with are his siblings and cousins.

He has never shown any motivation to learn how to drive. We tried to teach him when he was a teenager, but he didn't want to learn. He said because he wasn't ready. It's been 5 years, and he's still not ready. We're getting tired of having to drive him around everywhere. It's a burden for us.

Also, when we go out, he always appears uncomfortable. When we go out to public places like the mall, supermarket, etc. he's quiet and he looks nervous. At home, he's pretty talkative and open; when we step outside our house, he closes up. I always ask him, "Are you okay? Is something bothering you?" He says, "Yeah, I'm fine."

I think there could be a possiblity that my son has Social Anxiety. This could be the reason for his lack of friendships and social life.

All in all, my son is wasting his life and we don't really know how to help him. We don't want to kick him out because he would have no where to go. I'm thinking about taking his laptop away until he finds a job. My husband and I are reaching our breaking point.

What should we do about our son?

tl;dr: My 21 year old son does nothing but sit in the house all day on his laptop. He has never had a job, doesn't have a driver's license, has no friends or a social life, etc. He was going to university, then left because he realzied he didn't have an interest in what he was studying. He's currently trying to get his Associate's.

When we go out, he always looks nervous and uncomfortable. At home, he's pretty talkative and open. In public, he closes up. My husband and I think he could have Social Anxiety, which could be the reason for his lack of friendships and social life. We just don't know what to do with him. What should we do?



Submitted February 27, 2019 at 09:28AM by blueroses1973 https://ift.tt/2tGShfq
My [48F] son [21M] sits in the house all day and does nothing. I don't know what to do. My [48F] son [21M] sits in the house all day and does nothing. I don't know what to do. Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on February 27, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.