Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Desperately need advice. My boyfriend (27m) of 6 years won't propose to me (26f) despite our many talks, timelines, etc.

Reddit, I really just need to know if it's time to walk away. I am trying my best to write this as unbiased as possible but the hurt I'm experiencing is so deep. To keep things brief, my boyfriend and I met in college. Our six year anniversary is in less than two weeks. Right around year 2, we started discussing marriage and what we want, and at this time he said he was thinking of proposing "soon" but didn't want to ruin it by discussing it so I let it go.

I waited until year 3, where I proposed to him and he declined, saying that he wanted to be the one to propose. This hurt a lot but if it was something that was important to him, I understood. So I waited, bringing up the topic intermittently throughout the next couple of years, always with the same response, "soon". I have tried to have multiple conversations with him about how I don't care about a ring, or a wedding. I would go to city hall in a second and marry him and I've said it dozens and dozens of times. He doesn't want that (which is fine).

Finally, in May of last year, we took our first big trip together and I *swore* in my heart that this would be the time. We went hiking in the most beautiful places, and at one point he kept pushing me forward in our hike to find "the perfect spot". Of course, my mind went to engagement and when we found his "perfect spot", it was to spark a joint. It destroyed me. My parents continued to text me over the course of the trip to see when it would happen because surely this would be it! Nope. Went home hurt. After a few days of him noticing me being "pouty", we talked about it and I said I really can't do this anymore. If he truly wants to marry me, then he needs to come up with a timeline.

He has given me a three month timeline twice now. We talked about it this week and he doesn't even have a ring. He says he can't save up for one. (I've already requested a manufactured diamond which is significantly cheaper, and he got two NHL jerseys for himself in the month of February alone. I have also been paying majority of our rent (And other expenses!) the entirety of our relationship, under the pretense that he was saving for a ring/our wedding. Which I suppose is why I feel so betrayed.)

I honestly don't know what to do. I'm hurt, I'm embarrassed, I feel gutted, I'm tired of all of the stupid comments from my family. I just want to know what's going on. I'm so upset I took the day off of work so no one could tell I was crying. No matter how many times I express that this is so bad for me mentally and that I'm beyond a breaking point, he says the same thing over and over. "I want to marry you someday. I love you, I will propose to you soon". I feel like I'm going crazy. I need insight, please. I feel like I'm falling apart over this and I just want my life back on track.

ETA: I would like to add that he is not a bad person. I know that he does love me but I don't understand why things have come to this point. I do feel that he takes advantage of me financially, but I don't think he does this knowingly. He is used to being provided for whereas I have had to fight for everything in my life. I am happy to pay our expenses but only if he is upholding his end of the deal.

TLDR: My boyfriend insists that he will propose "soon", even though it's been six years. He's given me two timelines which have come and gone. He has no ring, there is no proposal in sight. This is ruining my mental health and I'm not sure what to do or where to turn.



Submitted February 27, 2019 at 10:00AM by Desperateforhelp5555 https://ift.tt/2EB99dQ
Desperately need advice. My boyfriend (27m) of 6 years won't propose to me (26f) despite our many talks, timelines, etc. Desperately need advice. My boyfriend (27m) of 6 years won't propose to me (26f) despite our many talks, timelines, etc. Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on February 27, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.