Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Family asks for free artwork

(Sorry if this is not the right subreddit. If there is a better one, please drop it in the comments)

So I am a part time painter. I don’t frequently sell artwork, maybe only once a month. The art that I sell is typically small and sold to/commissioned by friends and is typically sub $100.

This Christmas, I sold about five small paintings and gave two as gifts to family members. After seeing that two people received them as a gift, I was bombarded by other family members who wanted paintings, including my mother. Many times I was told “we paid for your supplies in high school...” or “come on, for family!” And I keep politely putting my foot down, even offering a discount to try and appease them... nothing. I refuse to budge on my minimum price as a way to show that I take my artwork seriously even though it is not my main source of income.

Then my grandma called me greedy for not giving her two free paintings for her friends. I just about snapped.

How can I explain to a family of non-artists how important this is to me and why I can’t give my art away? It seems like I need to be overly harsh for them to get the idea (hence the issue with my grandmother) and I HATE being like that. Any advice?

TL;DR my family wants free artwork from me and they don’t understand why I want payment. How can I get through to them?



Submitted January 01, 2019 at 01:46PM by SadArtistTM http://bit.ly/2QZNZ0O
Family asks for free artwork Family asks for free artwork Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on January 01, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.