Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Mother (64f) refuses diabetes medication and hip/knee replacement surgery, believes god will heal her

Hi all. So my (24f) mother (64f) was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 4 years ago. However, since then she has refused medication and is not monitoring her blood sugar, despite now having minor signs of neuropathy in her feet. She does take natural "treatments" and has tried to control her diet a little bit, but she still won't monitor herself to make sure she's in the safe zone. She is also disabled, and a doctor suggested that she would benefit from hip and knee replacement surgeries, but she has refused that as well.

She is a very religious christian, and her logic is that she believes god is going to heal her of these problems. I am an atheist, and I do not believe that this is going to happen. It hurts a lot to see her make such a risky choice with her diabetes management, and to refuse surgeries that would likely increase her quality of life, based on a belief that I do not think is going to happen. I have spoken to her about the fact that I think she needs to monitor and medicate her diabetes, but she won't listen, so I haven't tried to talk to her about the surgeries. She has very consistently maintained her faith in god despite many of her most desperate prayers going unanswered throughout her life, so I feel that it would be futile to keep trying to get her to see her situation any other way. I don't believe that she will let go of this blind faith if she hasn't already, because we've had a couple massive fights about it in the past few years.

My question is, does it make me a negligent daughter if I don't try my hardest/argue with her to get her to accept medical help and intervention? She has no signs of dementia, just an adamant faith, but I still feel somewhat responsible for her suffering. It's made more poignant by the fact that I live with her and help her with daily chores, so I see her pain and struggle every day. It really hurts knowing that she'll pass away while I'm still quite young, and I want all the time I can get with her because we're best friends, but her refusing medical help will most likely shorten her lifespan somewhat.

I know it's her right to decide to accept or reject treatment, but at the same time, I feel like I'm being a bad daughter by not trying really hard still to make her see the error of her ways.

TL;DR: My (24f) mother (64f) is type 2 diabetic and takes natural diabetes "treatments", but she won't monitor her blood sugar or go on diabetes medication. She is also disabled and will not consider hip and knee replacements to improve her quality of life. She refuses them because she's very religious and thinks god will heal her, but I disagree as I'm an atheist. I've stopped trying to convince her to get treatments because I don't want to fight and respect her choices, but it really hurts to see her take this risk with her diabetes and suffer in the name of her faith. I'm wondering if I'm a bad or negligent daughter because I no longer try to convince her.



Submitted August 26, 2021 at 09:31PM by Loose_Track2315 https://ift.tt/2UQo0Ms
Mother (64f) refuses diabetes medication and hip/knee replacement surgery, believes god will heal her Mother (64f) refuses diabetes medication and hip/knee replacement surgery, believes god will heal her Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on August 27, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.