Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My (27F) family is having trouble accepting my fiancé (28M)

Throwaway.

Me an J. have been together for 3 years and he just proposed to me last week. I haven’t told my family yet. I have two sisters (32F and 30F) both married, no children. I have been very lucky to be born in a well-off family. We never wanted for anything and because we were all girls, we were pretty spoiled. Not bratty or snobby though. Our parents paid for Ivy League colleges for all of us and we have no debt. My parents are in the property development business. All three of us sisters got our Master’s degrees. I currently work for a company but my sisters all got into the family business. What’s more is that both of them got the same classic American dream story of meetings their husbands in college, marrying after graduation and they are all 4 working on mom and dad’s business. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Anyway. My fiancé is from a different dough. He grew up in a regular family (I guess middle class?), went to college but just for an Associate degree and is now working for $20/hr, 9-5. We are fine with money, I never ask anyone for help or anything but we are certainly not as comfortable as my sisters or parents. I work hard and I earn good money but my income is like 70% of our total income while my fiancé makes the 30%.

During dinners or gatherings, my family always talks about their business, networking, new projects, stuff like that. They all work together and they see each other at the office all day but still have things to talk about at home. I’m interested in real estate too and I enjoy the conversations which are very informative but my fiance is bored to death. He doesn’t understand almost anything we talk and feels left out. I brought up this issue with my parents and sisters and they basically said, “well, if he had a brain it would be easier”. They think that because my fiancé almost never says anything, he doesn’t have an opinion or any knowledge. I didn’t yet tell them we’re engaged because all of them will probably just brush it off and be like, “I thought you’d find someone better”.

What should I do? I don’t wanna cut my family off and I want to somehow make my fiancé fit in better. Any ideas?

TL;DR: my fiancé doesn’t seem to fit into my family



Submitted September 30, 2018 at 04:16PM by Unicarenata https://ift.tt/2Ncz1Og
My (27F) family is having trouble accepting my fiancé (28M) My (27F) family is having trouble accepting my fiancé (28M) Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on October 01, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.