Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My (22F) parents (50s) are job hunting on my behalf and I'm at my wits' end

I guess that i should preface that I moved out of state from my parents at 18. I'm an independent who pays my own bills, though for 3 years of college they put 1000 dollars towards my tuition each semester as part of a fund they set up.

My parents have always been helicopters. Though since I've been at college they've crossed my boundaries more times than I can count. They applied to scholarships on my behalf without telling me, they had access to my college email from a time that I logged into it at their house and read them for months, they file me as a dependent on their taxes eventhough I'm not (and got me involved with the IRS over it), and they had a spreadsheet on every nickel I spent on my old debit until I wised up and started banking where they couldn't see, among many other things.

They have never trusted me to have control over my own life. My dad calls me every semester telling me which classes to enroll in. And at the time I listened since they were contributing to my tuition. I'm a student athlete (captain of the team), and my mom tells me which events I should register the team for and Facebook messages opponents, teammates and coaches during games asking them to send pictures of me at games to prove I'm there.

I've been seeing a therapist this year without them knowing, who has given me the tools to cut them off, but they never listen to me when I say no.

Anyway, I graduate in May, and intend to find work in my city so I can stay with my bf until he graduates. I have been applying to jobs and had my heart set on a specific company. The company contacts me today and says that of my applications, they are most interested in hiring me at the [parent's town] location. I've never applied there, and the job is in construction management, not civil engineering (my degree). Confused, I declined the offer and started applying to other companies.

My mom texted me today to ask if I'm interested in that company located in their town. She went on to say that she had a conversation with a manager there who would love to hire me. I told her I intend to stay in my state for another year and that I am not interested. She proceeded to give me their contact information and insist I reconsider.

I dont even know what to do anymore. I barely talk to my parents and they are still finding ways to dictate my life. I'm worried that they will ruin my chances by searching on my behalf especially if they don't really know what exactly I'm studying.

Tl;dr I'm an independent who is cutting off my parents and they still find ways to control my decisions



Submitted January 17, 2022 at 02:58PM by Laundylady https://ift.tt/3fAefbW
My (22F) parents (50s) are job hunting on my behalf and I'm at my wits' end My (22F) parents (50s) are job hunting on my behalf and I'm at my wits' end Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on January 18, 2022 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.