Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My (23F) Boyfriend (26M) wants to make large financial commitments together but I want security before making them.

Throwaway because my boyfriend knows my username. A little bit of backstory - my boyfriend and I have been dating for 3 years. I'm fairly certain that he is the person I want to spent the rest of my life with. I don't believe in soul-mates, but if I did, he would be mine. We've talked about getting married but because of some past trauma, he is a little hesitant. Despite this, he claims that marriage is in his plans. I'm totally fine with giving him all the time he needs to process his past and decide if marriage is something he wants. I think being married would be nice, but I am willing to compromise if my bf doesn't want to.

We have lived together for a year and a half and we split all shared expenses such as rent, food, utilities, etc. All the other financial aspects of our lives, such as our bank accounts and car payments, are completely separate.

My boyfriend wants to buy a house together. It scares me a little because I don't feel like I would be adequately protected financially if I entered into that kind of commitment with him. I told him that I would need some sign of commitment to our relationship long-term before buying a house together such as declaring each other as a partner instead of a bf/gf, or maybe sharing a smaller expense first especially if marriage is off the table. He didn't take it well at all. He thought that I didn't trust him and that I was prioritizing my money over him. Although I assured him that wasn't the case, he got really defensive and started saying things like "Why do you feel the need to protect yourself from me?" and "I don't understand why we can't just split the mortgage like we're splitting rent."

He's still mad at me but I don't really feel like I'm in the wrong for wanting to have a sign of dedication to this relationship before I enter into a massive financial commitment with someone. So I guess what I want to know is how do I express my feelings to him without making him feel insulted? Or am I wrong in general?

TL;DR My boyfriend wants to buy a house together but I want to be on a deeper level of commitment before I buy a house with him because I want to make sure I am protected financially. Am I in the wrong?

Edit - wording



Submitted January 28, 2019 at 04:35PM by Throwwwwingitaway http://bit.ly/2RpmetS
My (23F) Boyfriend (26M) wants to make large financial commitments together but I want security before making them. My (23F) Boyfriend (26M) wants to make large financial commitments together but I want security before making them. Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on January 29, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.