Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

I (20M) hurt a close friend (20F) and now we're not speaking.

This story is long, but I need to get it off my chest and know if I am looking at this all wrong. I am a 2nd year university student involved in a fairly tight-knit nonprofit oriented club. As has happened many times before, I was in a friend's room Thursday night playing a few drinking games and generally just hanging out, with people leaving one by one until me and my friend (we will call her Angie) were left. She's been one of my closest friends here, someone that I trusted with a great deal, and I think at least until Thursday she would have said the same.

We were both drunk and had been having a rough week, so we were just lying on the floor until the next thing I know, she's rolled on top of me and we're making out. She initiated but I reciprocated, and I absolutely could have handled it better, though to be frank, I don't think distributing the blame is a worthwhile exercise. Shortly after we began, she started freaking out that she had ruined our friendship and group of friends, and the next couple minutes were a surreal blur of watching her alternate between hyperventilating and jumping me. Eventually, I texted a mutual friend and confidant of hers to come over and help her, and left, because I did not think I was helping.

I tried to talk to her the next afternoon-I figured it would be awkward, or difficult, but we could laugh it off eventually and move on, and if she had some unexpressed feelings or something that had led to the previous night, that we could air it all out. Instead, she told me explicitly and unambiguously that she never wanted to see or talk to me again. In the time since, she has alternated day to day between wanting to meet and talk but always backing out, and going back to radio silence. This has strained a variety of mutual friendships and relationships, and it is getting worse with everyday. I am trying to give her space and time, and to respect her feelings, but I don't view the silence as productive. What else should I do to try and, if not make this right, get past it?

I want nothing more than to try and mend my relationship with my best friend, but I know that from her perspective, I have betrayed her trust and hurt her deeply. My question is: Am I wrong for thinking that to some extent she is overreacting? It was a brief mistake that we both made, and I can't believe that she is ready to throw away a valued friendship over it--while to some degree the motives are undoubtedly selfish, is it so bad to want to just talk and try to move forward?

TL;dr: I made out briefly with a friend when we were both drunk, and it hurt her far more than I would have expected. What should I do to try and mend this relationship?



Submitted January 28, 2019 at 09:16AM by DCUniThrowaway http://bit.ly/2RoxRRQ
I (20M) hurt a close friend (20F) and now we're not speaking. I (20M) hurt a close friend (20F) and now we're not speaking. Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on January 29, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.