Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

I'm [F17] not convinced my parents are telling me everything about my diagnosis

A little background: I was sort of a "miracle baby" in the sense that I was supposed to be born with a whole host of incapacitating birth defects (parents won't tell me what exactly), none of which do I have. I'm an only child because my kid brother was stillborn. Also, I've had problems with my parents filtering my medical care in the past. They procrastinated with scheduling a much-needed wrist surgery until it was too late for it to go smoothly, they left our old pediatric doctor because he asked if I wanted to talk to him privately, and they're extremely dismissive of pain (to the point where I've been on the floor crying and I was accused of faking it). This makes them sound like awful parents, but they're not until anything medical comes up.

I've been having symptoms of PCOS or endometriosis for years, and every time I've tried to bring up how much pain I'm in, my mom immediately shoots it down. She refuses to let me take birth control or any prescription medicine to help, and she has always told doctors that my periods are completely normal (even when I say otherwise). Recently, the symptoms have gotten much worse and I had an ultrasound. The doc immediately referred me to an OBGYN and said something about me probably having PCOS.

... Apparently, anyway. My parents didn't even tell me the ultrasound/blood work had come back until I asked, and my dad told me it was all completely normal until I poked and prodded and found out something was off with the ultrasound. He then came to me a few days later and said another doctor had read the report and said there was nothing wrong at all. I didn't know what to think about that. I mentioned that the doctor seemed to think the problem was reproductive, and he said "you don't have anything wrong with that, you probably just have gastritis." So I mentioned it to Mom, and she said the same thing. "You obviously don't have PCOS."

They're not doctors. They've tried to treat my pain with candied ginger and licorice tablets. And I have a gut feeling that they're not being honest with me about the test results, or why would they be so sure, against what the doctor said, that I don't have PCOS?

It's a stressful issue for me because they've insisted that I have grandchildren, because if I don't it must mean I had a bad childhood and it's their fault. The nonrational part of my brain is suggesting that they refuse to acknowledge I might not be able to have kids, and they don't want me to find out for fear I just won't even try to have them. Does this sound like an overreaction? Should I try calling the doctor myself behind their backs?

TLDR: I don't think my parents are telling me everything about my diagnosis. Should I try to call the doc behind their backs, or am I just being paranoid?



Submitted July 28, 2020 at 05:29PM by jmori707 https://ift.tt/3fa4XB0
I'm [F17] not convinced my parents are telling me everything about my diagnosis I'm [F17] not convinced my parents are telling me everything about my diagnosis Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on July 28, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.