Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

I [26F] have a condition that basically makes me clumsy, and people won't stop teasing me about it

I have a 'condition' since birth called dyspraxia, basically it means I struggle with some tasks that would require good motor skills/body coordination. It also gives me a few problems with directions or general spatial stuff. I actually have a mild version that generally isn't obvious. However things like tying shoelaces etc took me forever to learn, and I still have a few problems. It also makes my whole body a bit uncoordinated and clumsy, but nothing extreme. Before I knew that I have this condition, I was often ashamed of how 'unelegant' I am in comparison to other people.

For example when I eat, I hold the fork a bit different than other people, because otherwise I can't get a decent grip, and I struggle to use lighters. Anything that requires fine tuned finger movement can be harder for me. In general that's not a huge issue. However sometimes people notice and tease me about it. Mostly in a 'playful' way, but I'm kinda getting fed up. Sometimes it seems like people are implying that I have bad manners or behave rudely, when really I am doing what I can.

To be fair, I've never straight up told anyone 'I have dyspraxia' but I do say things like 'I have problems with fine motor skills since birth' yet it doesn't stop people, even some friends, from commenting on how 'weirdly' I hold a fork or ribbing on me for eating sushi with a fork (because I cannot handle chopsticks). I get it, it's unusual. Often people imply I'm being rude or kinda inappropriate. I do feel embarassed because it looks so clumsy when I do these things, but what can I do? I just don't really have much feeling in my fingers and can't 'maneuver' them well. I wouldn't mind if people commented once, the first time they see me struggling, and then stop once I explain that it's difficult for me. But most don't, and I'm tired of this coming up every time someone sees me eat. Last time I had to use a lighter it took me like 1 minute to finally get a flame and then I burned my finger and I could tell my friends were kinda embarassed for me :( Should I just straight up tell people about this condition? Or try harder so I don't look so dumb doing every day things?

___

**tl,dr:** I have dyspraxia, a condition that makes me clumsy. Even when I explain to people that it's hard for me, they tease me for being clumsy or embarassing. What to do about it?



Submitted September 02, 2019 at 03:14PM by MsClumsyFingers https://ift.tt/2NNmyEW
I [26F] have a condition that basically makes me clumsy, and people won't stop teasing me about it I [26F] have a condition that basically makes me clumsy, and people won't stop teasing me about it Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on September 02, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.