Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My (F23) work mentor (M35+) to whom I owe my job was just fired from our company. Should I reach out ?

(TL;DR at the end)

I started at our small company 6 months ago, coming in first as an intern straight out of uni. This guy (M35+) found my CV in the massive pile of internship candidatures they have, contacted me for the internship, interviewed me, then chose me for the role and was an amazing mentor to me during my first few months at the company. He's also the one who talked our boss into hiring me full time, which is amazing (it's my dream job, I love it). So I pretty much owe him my job.

Only, I came back from a weeklong holiday abroad this week to find his desk empty. I asked my colleagues and they told me he had been fired last week because our boss thought he wasn't working well enough and apparently had been missing work without any excuses too often. I was a bit shocked, because our company is very 'chill' and I wasn't expecting this could ever happen. Then I felt very sad for him because I know he has a wife and a very young child (6 month old baby, I met them both once) that depend on him. I'm not questioning why he was fired, but I also now have a weird survivor's guilt because I owe him my job that I love and it looks like I'm here to stay while he's lost his job (I have good performances reviews and I work in an area very different from my mentor's where the company desperately need help).

He hasn't contacted me about it, but I want to get in touch to thank him for everything he did for me at the company and maybe offer help babysitting sometimes if he needs it (we'd talked about it before, I'd offered to help if he needed a night off because why not, seemed like a nice thing to do). But at the same time it feels a bit insensitive to me to be like "thank you so much for helping me during my time here" when he was just fired (and from I've heard he was quite angry about it).

What do you think ? Should I just not contact him and let him forget about it all ?

Thanks !

TL;DR : guy who basically hired me and mentored me just got fired from our company. I want to get in touch to thank him for all his help but it feels insensitive ?



Submitted May 30, 2019 at 05:57AM by Incarnam http://bit.ly/2Mkq627
My (F23) work mentor (M35+) to whom I owe my job was just fired from our company. Should I reach out ? My (F23) work mentor (M35+) to whom I owe my job was just fired from our company. Should I reach out ? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on May 30, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.