Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Me [55/M] with my child [23]; they got a bad review at work and I'm encouraging them to stay

My adult child is in their first job out of school.

At their company, a 2/5 is an average rating for a new employee, and as you reach the 1-year mark you should start getting a 3/5.

They get ratings after each project.

They've been at their job for 5 months, and their first project was completed at the 0.5 - 1 month mark.

Their second project, they completed at the 1.5 - 3 month mark.

Averaging their scores across all categories, their first project rating was a 2.2/5 and had nothing lower than a 2. They even got some 3's. The first reviewer said, "Great start, but they need to talk more during meetings. I recommend they watch training videos to up their technical skills so they can be more efficient."

Their second project - the average was a 2.1/5, but they unfortunately got some 1's as well as some other 2's and 3's. 1's are the worst rating possible, unfortunately. The reviewer said, "I really appreciate how they kept asking for feedback on how to do better. One way to do better is to learn how to work more efficiently."

My kid panicked about the 1's and started asking me and their friends if they should get a new job.

I told my kid to stick it out and talk to the reviewer about why they got 1's and just improve.

My kid said they didn't understand and that they didn't want to be fired. They said they were worried about being placed on a PIP.

My kid literally pulled up a list of 50 jobs to apply to. They started polishing their resume and started messaging old coworkers about going back to their old internship place.

Am I not understanding? Was I rude? I get that the review was bad but why panic so much? Are they actually at risk of being fired?


tl;dr: I'm encouraging them to stay after a bad review



Submitted December 19, 2022 at 09:25PM by Relevant_Tradition89 https://ift.tt/OmBgnop
Me [55/M] with my child [23]; they got a bad review at work and I'm encouraging them to stay Me [55/M] with my child [23]; they got a bad review at work and I'm encouraging them to stay Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on December 20, 2022 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.