Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My parents want me to be someone I’m not for “college”

I’m 16M sophomore in high school. I’ll try to keep this entirely true even though I’m really pissed right now but anyways I’ll start ranting.

So my parents want me to do great in life. Which makes sense since i can probably do it. I’m in higher classes than most people, I got cut from baseball last year but picked up lacrosse and am pretty decent at it for only 1 year, and I’m really social. I dropped (American) football this year so I’d have more time to study since last year I got no sleep and my grades dropped at the start. My parents were annoyed but ok with it. They wanted me to pick up something else to replace football because apparently colleges care a ton. I like geography and countries and stuff so I went with model UN. It sounds fine. I don’t know any of the people in it. And while the concept sounds good, I’m not too interested. I signed up to please my parents. The first meeting was after school today and some friends also offered to go and get food after. Plus my only friend in the club backed out to get food and wanted me to come. So I chose to go with them. It was stupid but I did.

And now my parents are pissed. They keep saying “do you want to go to (the state school)” and stuff like that. I mean no I don’t but like also it shouldn’t matter yet, I’m only a sophomore. They then ranted about how they do so much for me to get into college and I don’t do anything. But there’s nothing to do. I get great grades, I’m signed up to referee basketball in the winter, and I’m still playing lacrosse. Nothing is happening right now. And they talk about me sitting around which I don’t. I hang out with people after school everyday and often go to parties and stuff. It seems like if I do what they want me to do then they’ll just find something else.

Then they get mad for me telling them that and they say how “my friends have (insert sport practice everyday after school” or “this friend has practice at 6am”. And “your younger sisters have volleyball everyday”. And when I say that’s not comparable because I don’t play a sport for a club team they don’t care, even though I did that also when I was in middle school.

And I haven’t told them this, but like I’m having some trouble with a few people in my friend group not liking me, so I really enjoy my time at home because I’m not stressing about all of that.

My main point is this, they always rip on me and never my sisters and it seems like I’m never enough. I know this is only writing, and probably biased, and might not make sense, and all of that but from what I wrote does it seem like I’m right or do they actually have a point?

And no my parents aren’t jerks or anything. They’re really nice but then every couple months something small like this will make them freak out and get mad at me for a couple of days. It just really gets under my skin.

They also have a skewed perspective of getting into college I think. It’s like only Einstein goes to college or something. They think that “grades aren’t enough” even though I do other stuff. And I do more stuff than most people I know.

TLDR: parents are obsessed with college and how I won’t get in.



Submitted October 11, 2022 at 06:47PM by goofyahh172772 https://ift.tt/KVwi6UB
My parents want me to be someone I’m not for “college” My parents want me to be someone I’m not for “college” Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on October 12, 2022 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.