Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

I (23F) dont know how to support my boyfriend’s (24M) current hobby anymore.

Good evening, I come to this sub partly seeking advice, partly to vent. TL;DR: my boyfriend has been spending too much money in the stock market and it’s gotten to the point that I’m worried he has a gambling addiction and that this will impact our future.

My boyfriend (we have been together for about a year and a half) was introduced to the wonders of the stock market while we were all in quarantine. He was getting some money from UI that he didn’t particularly need, so he used it to start investing in and trading stocks. I was supportive when he first expressed an interest because we weren’t really spending much anyways, plus it’s his money so his choice. We don’t live together and we usually go dutch or take turns paying when we do typical relationship/dating stuff.

Months have gone by and his interest in this hobby has grown exponentially while his income from it has not. He’s put several thousand into the stock market and he’s lost a good portion of it. I don’t know exact numbers, but I know he’s made several big losses because he complains every time he does. He’s extremely hard on himself about it but strives to be better. I dig his ambition but it’s starting to worry me because he is currently in a spot where he NEEDS to be more frugal. He’s constantly complaining that he’s broke and he does everything in his power to eat as free as possible. He has to move in a month and he doesn’t have the money he needs to pay all the necessary moving fees at the beginning of a new lease. We are both bartenders at the same place so I’m very aware of his income and the fact that we aren’t making as much money as we would like to these days (as restaurants have been hit hard due to covid).

Just now he’s mentioned putting $100 of every paycheck towards this stock-related thing that “gUaRaNtEeS” a 1000% return or whatever. I told him he should hold off on putting more money into the stock market until he has the money he needs for moving, and maybe after he’s done surviving off of just cereal. After I mentioned that, the way he responded tells me he’s already started this endeavor (but he’s using clever words to not fully admit to this yet. But i know. a girlfriend always knows.), despite being fully aware of his current circumstance. I’m scared that this harmless hobby has turned into a gambling addiction, and I don’t know how I can support this when it clearly causes him more harm than good right now. I don’t understand why he can’t just hold off on “investing” his money until he has more spendable income. I’m worried this is going to have a heavy impact on our future together. I don’t know how to bring this up or what to do. Reddit, help?



Submitted February 13, 2021 at 10:46PM by sagakay https://ift.tt/3rNnOs4
I (23F) dont know how to support my boyfriend’s (24M) current hobby anymore. I (23F) dont know how to support my boyfriend’s (24M) current hobby anymore. Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on February 14, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.