Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Is it unreasonable for me [F, 23] to tell my future housemate [20s, M] that he cannot move in through my room?

Hi, I am a subleaser off of the main lease for my room. There are two of us living in the house right now, and the main individual on the lease - let's call him Bob [30, M] - has found another roommate to move into our spare room.

As a subleaser, I have very little control over who moves in & when. This new individual - let's call him Matt [20s?, M] - came to visit the house 2 weeks ago and during the visit mentioned they may have trouble getting their bed frame in through the hall, but could probably just break the bed down and it would fit. My room has a private entrance and Bob, without my knowledge or consent, told Matt he could move in through my room.

This made me extremely frustrated, but I didn't say anything because I didn't know if Matt was actually going to move in, so I didn't want to get into an argument for no real reason. Now, Matt is definitely moving in and Bob let me know tonight Matt would be moving in tomorrow (even though I currently have to work from home and have meetings all day tomorrow. I was given no heads up on this, which is the second thing I'm frustrated with).

I respectfully brought up to my roommate that I have conferences tomorrow and need to know what time Matt plans on moving in. Bob put this in a group text and Matt responded they will not be hiring a moving company until next week and will just be moving in a mattress pad.

Then, Matt asked if there was a day next week that worked best for him to move a bed in and that "unfortunately they will have to go through my room... hope that will not be too much of an inconvenience. and unfortunately, [he] can't plan a specific time for that".

There are many reasons I do not want this new housemate or strangers in my room. My cat will need to be locked up in my room, I am extremely clean and like my room to be so, I really just hate people in my room. A lot of it's rooted in my intense anxiety and OCD which I have and take medication before, but I don't think I'm obligated to disclose my medical information to keep strangers out of my private room which I pay rent for.

So the question is, is it unreasonable to say my room is off limits for the move and he needs to move in through the common areas? And if not, any advice for approaching this situation?

TLDR: Is it unreasonable to ask that my new housemate move in through the common spaces and not through the entrance in my room even if it makes his move slightly easier?

EDIT: I came to my own conclusion. I am going to be firm and say no esp because I don't want strangers in my space during a pandemic. But, if the frame truly won't fit through the hall, I will personally move it through my room. I am also going to have a convo with Bob and explain I really like this living situation but that my room is my space and I don't want it offered up to move through without being talked to first. thanks to everyone for their input!



Submitted June 01, 2020 at 03:04AM by HitDerem2115 https://ift.tt/3gKJlNm
Is it unreasonable for me [F, 23] to tell my future housemate [20s, M] that he cannot move in through my room? Is it unreasonable for me [F, 23] to tell my future housemate [20s, M] that he cannot move in through my room? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on June 01, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.