Hello all! This is something I've been wondering about for a while which recently came up in conversation. I'd like to see what other peoples perspectives are on the matter!
I (F24) am dating a guy I met in university (M23). We get along great, but one issue has always been that me and his parents dont get on too well. We never argue or anything like that, but his dad is this tough as nails army veteran and if he doesnt like you he is the kind of person whi expresses his thoughts very loudly and he is very big on acting tough and macho. I am quite quiet generally speaking, and he doesnt really like people who are more reserved. His dad is all about confidence, but I find him aggressive and rude.
I moved in with my partner after 2 years of being together and soon became stifled by his parents who moved just 5 minutes away at the same time. Constant visits with a prospective father in law who I knew disliked me made the relationship difficult and after about a year of this I moved out and we split up.
Not long after this my partner finally recognised that his parents were becoming a big obstacle in the relationship and insisted we wouldn't let them bother us and he would stand up for our privacy more. We have since been dating for about a year and it has been better than ever, but they arent aware of this as we now live separately. We are planning on going public soon as they probably suspect we are still together anyway.
What I find a bit odd is his dads very over the top reaction to the initial split. We never spoke much as we didnt get on too well and were very awkward when trying to hold a conversation, but his reactions to me are like a teenager in their first relationship!
He instantly blocked me on Facebook, which to me is a bit strange for a parent of a partner to do. It also came to my partners attention that he has unblocked me multiple times to check on my account but I am now blocked again.
When he and his wife ran into me at the doctors, his wife tried to strike up a perfectly pleasant conversation, but when he saw me he became so angry that he said he had to physically leave the doctors office and he crawled away on crutches outside until I left.
To me, this response is very strange. This isnt behaviour I would expect from an ex, let alone an ex's father I barely ever spoke to! I knew we didnt get on but I just find this behaviour so odd and extreme! I am this shy awkward young woman of 24 and I seem to just make this big scary army veteran in his 50s so emotional!
I was wondering if anyone had any insight into his logic and reaction? I am the first ever girlfriend to come on the scene in any serious capacity for his eldest son, so maybe it is due to that? I have just never heard of a parent acting so oddly before in this context.
TL;DR- My ex bfs dad blocked me on facebook and when he sees me gets so angry he has to leave the room. Is this normal parent behaviour after a breakup?
Submitted May 02, 2020 at 04:15PM by Yotsuba177 https://ift.tt/3ff8MWM


No comments:
Post a Comment