Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My housemates/landlords [M/F 27+] did not warn me [23 F] that other people [18-19 F] would be staying at our house. I'm not sure how to react.

Throwaway! I live in a small house that's owned by two of my housemates. They are incredibly wonderful, sweet people; they slashed my rent dramatically, and even occasionally go out of their way to slip groceries into my pantry when I run out (because poverty complex + I refuse to let anyone know when things get tight). In fact, I have known them for a few years now, and they were good friends to me long before I ever started living in their home. I respect and care for them a ton.

Which is why I am a little confused as to how to react at a recent turn of events. A few weeks ago, a relative of one of my housemates came to stay for a while without warning. (I met them by opening the door and frightening them, as they weren't quite aware that another person lived there). This actually turned out okay: I like their relative, and we are able to chat pretty easily, although I still continue to surprise/scare them when I come through the front door ("I forget you live here!" is what I'm usually told.) Earlier this week, two more cars showed up in our yard. It looks like at least one of my housemate's relative's friends are spending some time here, too. Whereas I was eventually introduced to the relative, I just bumped into this person in the kitchen.

I'd like to start off by saying that I do not mind there being other people here. As a poor college student who is unable to financially rely on family, after having so many of my fees trimmed by these people, I don't believe I reserve the right to be upset with their own family being over, especially since I do not even own the property. But on some level, a part of me feels like they do not think I'm worthy of enough respect (or even competent enough) to be forewarned that other people will be in our home (and of course using the kitchen and our shared fridge). While I feel that they care about me (and it is absolutely mutual), I am worried that my landlords don't really respect me as a person. This is actually something I've been feeling for the last few months, and this most recent change feels like confirmation of it. I wonder if they lack respect for me/regard me as being a little stupid because of my financial situation, or if it's just my personality.

I have missed meals because our new house guests have had small dance parties and baking escapades in our incredibly tiny kitchen. I get it: They're young, in a new place, and need their own space. Technically, I don't really own anything. But I just wish I was forewarned, especially since our living space is so small.

Do I have any right to feel this way? How should I approach my landlords with this? Being upset with people who have been so generous towards me makes me feel conflicted.

TL;DR: My landlords let one of their relative's (and eventually this relative's friend) stay over in our teeny, tiny house. I wasn't warned. I can't tell if I'm overreacting.



Submitted August 31, 2019 at 06:24PM by awkwardlandlordstuff https://ift.tt/2NISzO7
My housemates/landlords [M/F 27+] did not warn me [23 F] that other people [18-19 F] would be staying at our house. I'm not sure how to react. My housemates/landlords [M/F 27+] did not warn me [23 F] that other people [18-19 F] would be staying at our house. I'm not sure how to react. Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on September 01, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.