Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Should I (23F) pick the medical school I like or the school my SO(23M) got accepted to?

Hey everybody, I have a difficult situation developing and trying to figure out how to handle. My SO and I have been together for 4 years. We started dating in college and graduated last year. No kids but we're fully committed to each other, marriage isn't really a priority. We're both trying to go to medical school, but his college GPA wasn't as competitive and he had a harder time with the medical college admission test. I am not trying to knock on him, I believe he's perfectly capable and will make a great physician. But because of this, we had drastically different options available for schools. We prepared and went into the cycle knowing we'd very likely end up in a long distance relationship.

He decided to go for a masters as he felt that would be the best way to improve his application. His program is actually at a DO medical school and if he meets their GPA cutoff, he will get to start their program next year. He's liked the program and is working hard to meet the cutoff so he can avoid other application headaches.

Here's where the dilemma comes in. I just interviewed with my partner's school this week and it seems fine, not great or bad. I already have 3 other DO acceptances and was honestly more impressed/excited about those programs. I'm also anticipating MD interviews which would be amazing if those turn out. For those of you that don't know, in a nutshell MDs an DOs are both physicians. MD programs tend to be more established, have more resources available, and help give you an extra edge if you try to go into a competitive field of medicine. There's also some curriculum differences that make MD more preferable to me. Still, as a DO I think I can accomplish my career goals but it is not as ideal.

Now that I've had this interview, my partner is really excited about the idea that we might be able to start med school at the same time same place. We were prepared to go long distance, but obviously it'd be great to avoid that. I think going to school with him would be lovely for many reasons, but I'm not sure how much I want to compromise? In my head I think I could choose it over the other DO schools, but if I get an MD acceptance I don't even know. I'd hate to choose a long distance relationship, but I'd also hate if I felt I was settling on my education. I worked hard to have the opportunities that are presenting themselves now.

TL;DR - My SO will be going to a medical school that I'm not in love with. Other schools can give me more opportunity or are just a better fit for me. Would you compromise on school choice, potential career opportunity, or sign up for long distance?



Submitted October 12, 2022 at 02:31PM by Alternative_Gas_8193 https://ift.tt/cyH3IwL
Should I (23F) pick the medical school I like or the school my SO(23M) got accepted to? Should I (23F) pick the medical school I like or the school my SO(23M) got accepted to? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on October 13, 2022 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.