Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My [35/M] parents [70s] are discussing divorce. I want them both to be happy but I don’t think this is a smart move for either of them.

My parents are in their early 70s and are suddenly discussing divorce. My sister and I both moved across the country (for work and/or spouses) so we’ve been out of the picture for about 8 years now. They never had the peachiest relationship growing up and would argue frequently but it was never anything too bad.

Now, I guess that they have nothing going on but spending time with each other, their patience is wearing thin with each other. My dad has always been pretty lazy around the house, but has been the traditional “breadwinner” and paid the bills, paid for the house, the trips, the cars, etc.

My mom hasn’t worked since she was in her forties. She became a devoted stay at home mother and made sure my sister and I had everything we needed and made our house a home.

My mom is (and always has been) in great shape. I know her passions have always involved being outdoors and active. My dad prefers to sit inside and watch football because he is overweight and has bad knees.

Recently, my mom had a foot injury that has required my dad to step up his game and take care of her more than usual. During this, he accidentally hit a large bump in a sidewalk while pushing my mother in her wheelchair (a temporary thing for her foot injury) and she fell out of the wheelchair and reinjured her foot. She blames him, etc.

Well anyways, I know this has caused some tension in their relationship for the past month or so. The other day, my sister calls me up and says that she spent an hour on the phone with my mom, and said my mom was in tears the whole time, and mentioned the possibility of divorce several times.

I want them both to be happy, and if going separate ways and doing whatever they want is what it takes, I understand that… and it’s not like my sister or I need parents who are still together, but not only would it devastate us obviously, I don’t think either of them could actually make it on their own at this point in their lives.

My mom has relatively very little in her name. I’m not sure what assets / income would go her way if they split, but I know she wouldn’t be able to live the same lifestyle that she is living now, nor the one she always wanted. My dad is in poor health. He is a loving, but a bit of a child. He can’t really cook for himself other than easy Mac and maybe pancakes. He’s also diabetic and has all sorts of other health issues on his own.

What do I say to them in this scenario??

tl;dr: aging parents are thinking of divorce. I don’t think it would be a smart move for either of them. At all.



Submitted September 16, 2022 at 03:15PM by conradical30 https://ift.tt/kuyhNAQ
My [35/M] parents [70s] are discussing divorce. I want them both to be happy but I don’t think this is a smart move for either of them. My [35/M] parents [70s] are discussing divorce. I want them both to be happy but I don’t think this is a smart move for either of them. Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on September 17, 2022 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.