Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

in laws treated me (23F) like an idiot for not speaking english fluently and I called them a bunch of assholes now they want me to apologize

First of all I swear I (23F) have my reasons for calling them that. I'm from a Latin American country but my papa is russian and my great maternal grandparents are german so to communicate with them I had to learn german because they speak very little spanish, so therefore in my house I grew up speaking spanish, russian and a little bit of german but my accent when speaking english or spanish is like my papa's, and when i met my husband's (27M) family they thought it was funny. They used to correct me all the time when I said a word wrong and I never thought that they were making fun of me because they really seemed genuine, but over the years I realized that they weren't.

They recently came to visit us (we live in my home country and they are from the US) and I had to do my best to try to speak english because they don't speak spanish, russian or german and they don't seem to want to try either, which makes me furious because they get mad if my husband (he speaks spanish perfectly) translates what I say for them, they want everyone to speak english when they are present and I hate that.

The other day we were all having dinner (including my family) and my babushka was speaking in russian because she never speaks to me in spanish, and my inlaws didn't like that because according to them it's "rude" to speak in a language that your guests dont understand. I told them that my family doesn't speak english fluently and neither do I, but that if they wanted to talk with us I could try to translate for them, but they didn't like the idea and my mother in law (49F) told me that after being married to an american for so long (we've been together for 4 years) I should know how to speak english fluently because our baby (I'm currently pregnant) must speak english. I told her I'm still learning and it's hard for me to learn english, but that I'm doing my best, and she had the nerve to tell me something like "then you're not as smart as we thought you were" and that made my blood boil because they are the typical ignorant americans who think that the fucking world revolves around them and that their language is the only one you have to learn or else you are an idiot. They only speak english and somehow they were calling me and my family idiots for not speaking english fluently knowing that every member of my family speaks at least two fucking languages (the audacity!)

My husband told them that I'm actually very smart because I can speak three languages ​​fluently and some english, and my father in law (52M) told him that english is really easy and that if I don't learn to speak it fluently it's because I'm lazy, and I was honestly fed up and i was fed up so I told them that they were a bunch of assholes who couldn't learn another language even if their lives depended on it, and that they had no right to call me lazy or make me feel like I was an idiot when they know perfectly well that I am not, then I said other things like if they continue to treat me that way the last language I will teach my son will be english thus they would be obliged to learn spanish, russian or german to communicate with him. And they were furious and still are, because they think I was rude to them, and now they are harassing my husband so that I apologize but I don't want to, I mean they never apologized for all the times they made me feel bad.

My mom insists that I should apologize for everyone's sake but I don't want to. Should I apologize or should I leave it as it is? Should I try to explain to them why the way they think is wrong? Because I honestly don't know if I want to waste my time on that.

I want to add that I don't mean to insult americans, sorry. I just never met anyone there (except my husband) who was nice to me, even his friends made fun of me for my accent and the way I struggled to pronounce some words correctly. But maybe I met the wrong people and that some are really nice to foreigners.

Tl;dr: in laws treated me like an idiot for not speaking english fluently and I called them a bunch of assholes now they want me to apologize



Submitted February 11, 2022 at 08:14PM by purpleivy113 https://ift.tt/YcLpJse
in laws treated me (23F) like an idiot for not speaking english fluently and I called them a bunch of assholes now they want me to apologize in laws treated me (23F) like an idiot for not speaking english fluently and I called them a bunch of assholes now they want me to apologize Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on February 12, 2022 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.