Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

How do I [27 M] deal with my mother [66 F] who refuses to set aside conspiracy theories?

So the runup to the election has been particular difficult. She constantly has Fox News on near 24/7 and listens to Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, and Rush Limbaugh on a daily basis. I've long ago stopped talking to her about politics, but she's recently made it a point to start raising her voice, start shouting, and otherwise go off on tangents back to divisive topics.

When I say I don't want to talk about these things and instead try to bring conversation back to something that doesn't involve the deep state or Hunter Biden's laptop she gets visibly angry that I don't value anything she has to say, and that I'm stupid for my incredulity. I've repeatedly reiterated that these topics are toxic and that I'd very much prefer not to engage with them. She's taken this as incredulity, and finds it massively offensive.

The main theory she has at the moment is that there is a "color revolution" in progress in the country, an issue which she sees as an existential threat, and that the Democrats plan to steal the election. Namely that there is a 7 step process by which the US Government will be overthrown similar to uprisings in Kosovo, Ukraine, and other countries. This is primarily pushed by Glenn Beck.

I've mainly responded with the equivalent of "Sir, this is a Wendy's", but rather than solving the problem it's simply caused her to start shouting at me and treating me as the embodiment of George Soros.

tl;dr: How do I not let politics destroy a relationship? She's otherwise kind and I simply prefer to have non-contentious interactions.



Submitted October 29, 2020 at 09:07PM by throwaway869845 https://ift.tt/2Gbm8Xi
How do I [27 M] deal with my mother [66 F] who refuses to set aside conspiracy theories? How do I [27 M] deal with my mother [66 F] who refuses to set aside conspiracy theories? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on October 30, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.