Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My (27F) brother (18F) got into an accident and now he's in big debt. I refuse to pay it for him and our family is all against me

I will try to make this post as short as possible but I really need advice from the outside. also English isn't my first language so sorry. Edit: in the title I say 18F but it's obviously supposed to say 18M

My little brother turned 18 six months ago. After he got his drivers licence he started asking me for money to buy a car. I have a fairly good job and can afford expensive vacations. Two years ago I paid my parents an expensive trip back to our home country. My brother told me that with the money I spent on my parents I could buy him a used car. I didn't want to because I knew that if something happened I would be the one to blame for buying a car.

Then our older brother gave him his old car when he bought himself a new one.

Two months ago my brother got into an accident. He let his underage friend drive his car. They got into an accident. Next to their lane there was a car pulled over ans they hit it. Luckily the passengers of the other car were all outside. So none was injured. The underage friend got some injuries but he's alright. My brother was fine.

So turns out his insurance won't pay for this because the person driving was an underage kid without a driving licence. This means he will have to pay for all the damages. His friend went to a public hospital so he won't pay for that. But he has to pay the owner of the other car 29K€. And that's a lot of money. I mean I'm pretty sure it's a ton of money everywhere but for our country standards it's a lot if we take into consideration the low salaries.
And also he has to pay a fine of 1'5K for driving without a car insurance.

And guess what? My family is asking me to pay for all of this. I told them I can't afford it and even if I could I wouldn't pay it. My parents are telling me that instead of spending money in expensive vacations for them I should have saved that money for important things.

What they don't understand is that I had to save for those trips. And the trip wasn't anywhere near 30000€. They told me to ask my husband to pay for it. I know my husband can easily afford it because he makes way more money than me but I don't want him to pay.

I'm so mad at my brother. He could have killed someone. Yet he doesn't seem to care. He thinks I'll pay for this and everything will be alright. I don't want to pay for it. I don't. I want him to face the consequences of his actions. I have my whole family against me right now. I didn't explain this to my husband yet. And I don't know if I should get involved.

Do you think I should give in and pay? I feel like I wouldn't be able to talk to my family after that. But I don't know what's the best or worst option. Or maybe I'm overreacting? I genuinely feel like I don't but I don't know.

TL;DR my brother got into an accident. Now he's asking me to pay more than 30K€ on him. And the whole family is against me. What should I do?



Submitted October 30, 2020 at 02:41PM by selfishsisterrr https://ift.tt/3e8K2PS
My (27F) brother (18F) got into an accident and now he's in big debt. I refuse to pay it for him and our family is all against me My (27F) brother (18F) got into an accident and now he's in big debt. I refuse to pay it for him and our family is all against me Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on October 30, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.