Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

How do I (21M) lower my alcohol consumption without dishonouring myself and disrepecting my hosts ?

I'm from Burgundy, a region in France where they make dope ass wine (the best in the world) and many liquors. People here drink literallly all the time. They don't get blackout drunk very often, but they start drinking at 11am and don't until they sleep. Wine is just like water to them.

Now that I have reached majority, I am allowed to drink, even though it really isn't my cup of tea. At least not on a daily basis.

But whenever I visit my family there, people always fill my glass. I sometimes refuse, but it is considered very impolite and inconsiderate to decline a drink, even more so when it is good and expensive wine. Moreover, the mayor of the town is a close family member, so it makes it even harder not to drink, since people will then assume I am not one of them, and it could lowkey damage his political carrier. Also I can't choose not to come, since my grandmother is getting old and I have to visit her regularly. Of course she makes me drink as well. Even when I say no she just stares at me in anger until I change my mind.

So every time I go there, I am coerced into drinking all day long for my whole stay, which has negative effects on my well-being and mental health. Basically, every time I go back to where I live now, I have a small depression for some days due to alcohol withdrawal.

To give you an idea, I went there last week-end and drank, in order:

1 cup of blackcurrant liquor and another of peach liquor, one cup of wine with rose syrup, two cups of Algerian rosé wine, one cup of Burgundy red wine, and four pints of beer. All of this between Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon.

I can't always be slightly drunk, I can't function in this state, and I can't possibly declare that I don't drink alcohol anymore, otherwise it would dishonour me and my family.

I have no clue about what to do. I even started to fear going there.

Tl;dr: Every time I go visit my family I am strongly encouraged to drink alcohol and don't know how to decline without being rude.



Submitted September 25, 2020 at 04:12AM by Saymoua https://ift.tt/2FY4pTa
How do I (21M) lower my alcohol consumption without dishonouring myself and disrepecting my hosts ? How do I (21M) lower my alcohol consumption without dishonouring myself and disrepecting my hosts ? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on September 25, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.