Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My dad (53M) wants to get back in contact with me (22F).

My parents divorced when I was a teen. The last few years before the divorce, my dad became increasingly depressed and manipulated my mom into staying at home for him as much as possible. She still went to work, but when she left the house to visit friends or for anything not work-related he would always blame her for not being there for him.

When my grandfather died (my dad's father), my mom would spend all day handing out mourning cards to friends, family and acquaintances personally. When she came home, he accused her that she didn't care at all about his father's death, because she didn't stay at home to console him.

It was a very uncomfortable situation to be in, and my mom, my brother and I had to practically walk on eggshells. He worked at home, but barely talked to us when we were home and often just kept lying in bed. There was no way to get him out. I also had suspicions he was becoming an alcoholic, because one time he drank whiskey out of a coffee mug at 10 am.

When my mom told him she wanted a divorce, he practically begged her to stay and threatened to hang himself if she left. We could tell this was bluff, but needless to say this still worried us out beyond belief. He said some other stuff to us I don't want to talk about, but to this day I still not have forgiven him for.

When my mom divorced him, we moved in with her. Just a month later, we discovered he already had a new girlfriend. I wondered if he was already seeing her while being married with mom, which made me even more resentful towards him. At first, I tried to stay in contact and even hired a councilor to talk to him but I just kept getting disappointed and eventually broke all contact with him.

Now years later, he wants to get back in touch. He says a lot has happened to him since, and he wants to meet up and talk about it. I realized I kind of miss him, but I don't know if I want to meet up because im the past this proved to be a bad idea. But he's still my father. What should I do?

TLDR: my parents divorced mainly because of my dads major depression and manipulation, and said some extremely hurtful things to us. After years of no contact wants he to see me again. I miss him, but don't want to be hurt by him again.



Submitted October 27, 2018 at 03:18AM by sumethingnew https://ift.tt/2z4IPF6
My dad (53M) wants to get back in contact with me (22F). My dad (53M) wants to get back in contact with me (22F). Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on October 27, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.