Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

I [M25] gave a baby shower gift but my best friend [F29] gave me half of it back, did I make a faux pas?

To preface this, I am a homebody and don't have much of a social network by choice. I prefer investing my time elsewhere, but this makes me a bit socially inept on occasion. My best friend who I work with recently had her baby shower. I was not present at the party and had to work. At first I was unsure of what I wanted to give her, but felt like $200 was what felt right to me. I checked online and saw that it is reasonable to give $150 from a best friend. I decided my original amount would be what I wanted to give. I gave her a card from a set that I save for only when I want to be sincere. I wrote a very simple congratulations and hope for the best inside and left it at that.

A week after her party she gave me a thank you card and $100 was inside. She said she hoped to not offend me but that $100 was more than enough and was thankful for that.

I didn't feel offended, but instead embarrassed and sad. It made me happy to be able to gift her the amount I wanted. Now I just feel like I valued the friendship more than she did and she gave back the amount that she didn't feel was appropriate based on the friendship we have. She is a very kind person, maybe overly so, but this struck me as there must be a reason why she gave me back half thinking the original amount was too much. Did I make a social faux pas in giving her an overly high amount? Is $200 overly much? Should I just let this go and let my feelings be? At this point I feel like I should accept that she values the friendship less and that I took a misstep.

I realize that I have a skewed perspective as my social network is limited but she has a very similar personality. Also her sister who lives with her and knows me well said that in my position she would feel $100 would be the minimum that she would give if she were me. Just looking for some outside perspective on this, thanks.

TL;DR: I gave my best friend $200 for her baby shower, but she gave me half back. I feel embarrassed because now I think I valued our friendship more than she did. Did I make a social faux pas and that's why she returned half of the gift? Should I just let it go and accept my feelings?



Submitted October 27, 2018 at 06:07PM by hokuho https://ift.tt/2JjC4nq
I [M25] gave a baby shower gift but my best friend [F29] gave me half of it back, did I make a faux pas? I [M25] gave a baby shower gift but my best friend [F29] gave me half of it back, did I make a faux pas? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on October 28, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.