Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

Family won’t come to my [26F] wedding but want to pretend like there’s nothing wrong with it. No contact until after the wedding?

My family (parents [50sMF] + extended [all ages]) refuse to come to my wedding because they don’t support our inter-religion (is there a term for this??) marriage. My family is Christian but I’m not particularly religious and I gravitate towards other faiths anyway. My fiancé [30M] is not very religious and doesn’t believe in God in the common sense, he’s more spiritual but his lineage is Jewish.

They say they don’t have a problem with my fiancé as a person but can’t allow another faith to enter our family tree in good conscious. Whatever, their beliefs. What I didn’t expect was for both of my parents to tell they aren’t coming and won’t help with wedding planning/funding. They’ve gifted all my other siblings with money for their wedding, nevertheless I understand they won’t facilitate something they won’t “stand for”. The only family members I have coming are my 3 sisters- parents, grandparents, aunts, etc. all refused to come. That said, as my wedding planning is underway, I’ve felt very lonely and unfulfilled. My fiancé and I considered having a ceremony with just us to avoid me feeling more alone/reminded of the situation with his MASSIVE family all there but I didn’t want to deprive his family of their sons wedding so we’re moving forward.

My parents still call me, ask to meet for dinner Sunday’s like usual, everything is business as usual. We had a few discussions about the wedding but now it’s just the elephant in the room none of us discuss. I considered cutting them off until after the wedding since I feel like I’m being punished by them while for them, I’m still the daughter they’ve always had and are facing no consequences for skipping a major life event. My fear though is that they may come around but if I go no contact with them they might never come around.

Any advice on how to proceed and the most effective way to keep the family intact through out this ordeal would be appreciated.

TLDR: My family won’t come to my wedding because my fiancé does not share our faith. How do I proceed while not destroying family ties?



Submitted October 28, 2018 at 11:03AM by redditthrowaways1982 https://ift.tt/2OYnvvX
Family won’t come to my [26F] wedding but want to pretend like there’s nothing wrong with it. No contact until after the wedding? Family won’t come to my [26F] wedding but want to pretend like there’s nothing wrong with it. No contact until after the wedding? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on October 28, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.