Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

My GF (22F) and I (26M) are from very different socioeconomic backgrounds, how can I reconcile our life habits/world views?

TLDR: My GF soon to be fiancée came from very different socioeconomic background and has different understanding of the world.

I want to preface this by saying I absolutely love my girl, and I am planning to prose later this year (have looked at rings, made a plan to surprise her and everything). She is caring, kind-hearted, honest, and I am sure she will be a good wife and good mom. However, we came from very different socioeconomic backgrounds, and sometimes even myself wonders our drastically different world views will impact our marriage life. How should I reconcile this?

I came from a upper-middle~ upper family in New England. Think about things like a few generations back all went to Ivy schools, that kind of family. Growing up, I had never worried about money. Our household income didn't qualify for any financial aid so my parents paid the college tuitions straight out of pocket. My family owns vacation properties, does family trips all around the world often, etc. I also have a good career in finance as I'm pulling six figures while 26. I'm aware that I'm privileged and I really don't show off. Except my GF, nobody knows my family.

While she came from a rural/impoverished part of the country. I've been to her hometown, and honestly it looked depressing, like people there had no future at all. She dropped out of college and doesn't really work now besides some part-time gigs. She has some troubled family history (uncles dealt drugs and still in prison, things like that), and her parents/siblings are all blue-collar at best.

I kind of feel like we understand the world in a different way. Some examples:

  • She's kind of financially illiterate and doesn't understand why I'm saving so hard for our retirement. I also enjoy buying quality stuff like clothes that can last long, while she doesn't get it and still shops at thrift stores. I offered to buy her stuff like clothing and makeup, but she either declined or rarely uses them.
  • She doesn't seem to have any ambitions in her career and wants to be a SAHM if we get married. I'm honestly fine because I can earn enough to cover that, but somehow I feel like this is just an excuse of not wanting to work. We don't have plans to have kids in the near future so I don't know why we need a SAHM.
  • She's kind of awkward in social gatherings, which sometimes makes me uncomfortable. I've taken her to several family gatherings, and she always wore hoodies and unfit jeans, and sat there quietly. Kind of like an awkward teen lol. I tried to engage her to talk with other people, but it didn't really work. My parents are not the richest in the family. I have an uncle who is multi-millionaire and judgmental. I can tell he doesn't understand why I want to date her. Honestly, I don't care how people judge my dating life or my marriage, but it's getting to the point that I don't even know if I should keep bringing her to family gatherings.

As I said before, I absolutely love her and want to marry her. She's kind of sensitive though, so I don't even know where to start to reconcile our life habits. Please, help me and give some suggestions!



Submitted March 27, 2023 at 06:54PM by SillyAttention44 https://ift.tt/OPNFcb6
My GF (22F) and I (26M) are from very different socioeconomic backgrounds, how can I reconcile our life habits/world views? My GF (22F) and I (26M) are from very different socioeconomic backgrounds, how can I reconcile our life habits/world views? Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on March 28, 2023 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.