Recent Posts

banner image

Recent Posts

3/recent/post-list

How do I (30F) avoid letting my brother-in-law (35M) talk over me

I have a BIL who argues for a living. Unfortunately for everyone around him, this means that he’s good at it, and he enjoys it. Every time we get together he aggressively argues with someone about something, makes the mood tense, and then when people step down/back, he brags about how he is right, they’re wrong, etc.

There are a couple family members who aren’t afraid of confrontation, but he out-argues them (or simply talks louder and talks over them), and declares himself a “winner” anyway. I’m honestly tired of attending family gatherings where I know he’s going to be, but don’t feel like I can avoid them. There also aren’t enough people at these gatherings to simply ignore it. He’s good at making himself the center of attention.

Does anyone have any advice? Any method of shutting someone down without out-arguing them, or a way to intervene in an argument between two other people before it escalates (referring to hubby here...)?

Or, just a way to avoid being so frustrated by it? He knows how to push my buttons, and I don’t have a good method for stepping back (if I literally walk away, he’ll say “oh, you’re walking away now? So you’re saying I’m right. Ha!”)

How do you avoid letting that bother you??

tl;dr: Brother-in-law keeps ruining gatherings by arguing with everyone. How do I avoid being frustrated by him?



Submitted May 28, 2021 at 02:30PM by flashy_acoustics https://ift.tt/3fUDPbn
How do I (30F) avoid letting my brother-in-law (35M) talk over me How do I (30F) avoid letting my brother-in-law (35M) talk over me Reviewed by KING SAMUEL on May 28, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.